omc 3.0L in 19 ft bayliner

sandlane

Recruit
i have a 1988 bayliner cuddy with a 3.0L chevy 4cyl. it is way under powered and would like to put in a 305 or 350 chevy engine if i find a salvaged boat with that engine in it can somebody tell me how much trouble i will have installing a bigger engine. i am a auto tech so changing engines is no problem for me but i am new at boating and am not sure about the mounts aligning up and so on.

tommays

Admiral
Re: omc 3.0L in 19 ft bayliner

you would need to find a motor and drive <br /><br />you could do it but it would be much easery to find and older boat with a big motor it is a really big project not just a drop in like changeing a v8 for a v8<br /><br />tommays

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Welcome to iboats.<br /><br />The boat might not have places for the motor mounts. The 3.0 has one bracket in front. V-6's and V-8's have a mount on each side. And your doghouse and floor may not accomodate a V. Otherwise, if you have enough parts, it can be done. But probably not economically.

sandlane

Recruit

thanks for the info this boat is my wifes and she really likes it. even if its a tough job it will make a go winter project.

Seeyou

Recruit

i have a 1988 bayliner cuddy with a 3.0L chevy 4cyl. it is way under powered and would like to put in a 305 or 350 chevy engine if i find a salvaged boat with that engine in it can somebody tell me how much trouble i will have installing a bigger engine. i am a auto tech so changing engines is no problem for me but i am new at boating and am not sure about the mounts aligning up and so on.

How did thing work out ? I have a 1988 hard top with the OMC 3.0 way under powered and like to put in a Ford V8

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

This is another OLD 2004 post, and the original poster hasn't visited this site for many years.
Read the archives, don't reply to them.