[1979 OMC I/O] fuel line 'water separator' or 'check valve'?

bradrulz

Cadet
I'm checking out both my ignition and fuel systems, my 1979 OMC 120HP inline 4cyl loses rpms to the point of stalling, after she heats up around 160F (about an hour out).<br /><br />I replaced all plugs, plug wires, and I'm just being stubborn about replacing the coil until i can figure out how old this one is, or get desparate, whichever comes first.<br /><br />As for fuel, i'm going to check for clogged gas tank vent, check the fuel filter, and for water in the system. My question is what is the clear cylindrical thing inline in the fuel line just starboard of the engine (about 3-4 feet shy of the carb)?<br /><br />Is it a water separator? a check valve? are these one in the same? It lays horizontal inline in the fuel line, but when i pick either end up it dribbles out what appears (looks, smells, i haven't tasted it yet) to be gasoline. Inside the clear plastic? tube is what looks like a little filter.<br /><br />Thanks for any help!

D

DJ

Re: [1979 OMC I/O] fuel line 'water separator' or 'check valve'?

brad,<br /><br />A coil will do exactly what you are describing.<br /><br />Anyway, the fuel tank check valve would be located at the outlet for the fuel tank.<br /><br />A water seperator is usually fairly large and typically has a cartridge that may resemble an oil filter.<br /><br />I cannot explain that clear cylindrical thing unless it is an old filter holder without a filter in it. If it's glass, it shouldn't be in a boat.

bradrulz

Cadet
Re: [1979 OMC I/O] fuel line 'water separator' or 'check valve'?

thank you very much, DJ! I confirmed from the previous owner that he never replaced the coil, so i broke down (nice pun, eh) and put on a new one. Apparently he had the carb "reworked" (not sure exactly what that means, maybe diagnosed and adjusted a little), but as a result he said the little clear thing at the back was another filter put in to diagnose whether the fuel pump was working properly and to see if much dirt was travelling downstream. He admitted it dribbled a little bit on him, too. I think it best to either replace this filter with another one or put in some sort of tight/closed connector. I don't like gas dribbling in the engine compartment, personally.<br /><br />I've put on a new coil, i'll figure out a good connector replacement for the fuel line and give the girl another whirl. Thanks again!