varoom! varoom! varoom!

bootle

Lieutenant Junior Grade
There are some noises being made that Toyota will we getting into NASCAR, What are the pros and cons with regards to the US auto industry?<br />and is it good or bad in the long term for NASCAR?

PW2

Commander
Re: varoom! varoom! varoom!

I thought they were already in Nascar, in the truck series??

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

They are already in the Truck Series. And I heard they are fielding Cammerys (sp) this coming season.

eeboater

Commander

I was thinking about this...<br /><br />I think the reason Toyota is going into NASCAR is that they want (at a considerable expense) to be viewed as an "American Car Manufacturer." By entering into NASCAR, something considered as very AMERICAN, they are making an attempt at becoming an American car company. The car they are choosing to use... the Camry! If they were to follow suit with the rest of the big 3, they would be choosing the Avalon. Why is that? It's because the Camry already has an "American Car" stereotype associated with it. <br /><br />But when you think about it... is a Japanese car company which builds a car in Kentucky any less American than an American car company that builds a car in Mexico or Canada?<br /><br />Sean

QC

Supreme Mariner

They have been in the truck series for a couple of years. It was announced Monday that they will be joining Nextel Cup (was Winston Cup) and the Busch series in 2007.<br /><br />They have been known to completely dominate a series after they enter and NASCAR is watching them very closely and has had closed door meetings with them to insure that doesn't happen. NASCAR has been excellent at controlling this sport. There is no published rulebook, so they do what they want when they want to preserve this lucrative deal.<br /><br />In the truck series Toyota provided all of the trucks to the teams that ran Toyotas. They will not be allowed to do that in 2007 as they will supply engines and technical assistance to teams, but will not supply complete "factory" race cars . . .<br /><br />Toyota's Press Release: NASCAR and Toyota announced Monday the manufacturer’s plans to expand its NASCAR program by competing in the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series and the NASCAR Busch Series starting in 2007, fielding the Toyota Camry model. The expansion will follow three years of Toyota competing in the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series, and will result in all three of NASCAR’s national series having four manufacturers competing, as Toyota will join Chevrolet, Dodge and Ford.<br />“NASCAR welcomes Toyota to the greatest auto racing in the world,” said NASCAR Chairman and CEO Brian France, who made the announcement on Monday at NASCAR’S Research and Development Center in Concord, N.C. “Toyota’s entry into the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series and the NASCAR Busch Series is good for drivers, teams and the fans. This move provides for even more intense competition on the track between drivers and manufacturers, which will provide more excitement and fan interest. Toyota’s entry also provides more options for drivers and teams, which will increase the competition between manufacturers.”<br />“It’s a great pleasure to announce Toyota’s entry into the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup and Busch Series with the Toyota Camry,” said Dave Illingworth, senior vice president and chief planning and administrative officer for Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. “Next year – 2007 – will be a special year for Toyota in more ways than one. Toyota will be celebrating its 50th anniversary in the United States, and we will be joining the NASCAR NEXTEL CUP Series, America’s premier racing series. Toyota has been an important part of the U.S. motorsports community for almost 25 years. We’ve competed and won in different series and on tracks across America. Toyota drivers and teams have won championships in a variety of different series. But, if you want to compete against the best, in America that means NASCAR. We look forward to February of 2007 when the green flag waves to start the Daytona 500 and the starting lineup features the Toyota Camry.”<br />Illingworth, who joined France in making the announcement, said more information – regarding possible sponsor and driver lineups – will be released Tuesday night, during a media gathering at Lowe’s Motor Speedway in Concord.<br />Toyota, which has been doing business in America since 1957, now has eight plants in the United States – 14 if you count all of North America. Toyota will build approximately 1.6 million vehicles this year, including production at its new Tundra pickup plant in Texas. Toyota and its dealers now directly employ approximately 142,000 Americans. Since 1986, Toyota has built more than 12 million vehicles in the United States. More than 6.5 million Camrys have been sold in the United States and it has been the bestselling car in America for eight of the past nine years. Camrys are built at Toyota Motor Manufacturing in Georgetown, Ky.(Toyota.com)(1-23-2006)

oddjob

Commander

Originally posted by Darth D Invader:<br /> Camrys in NASCAR? :eek:
yeah, I bet they wont spend alot of time on the engine in the pits ( snic) :p

bootle

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Not bad for a ricer eh! or because of their new to be nascar prestige label are we going to forsake calling them ricers?

KaGee

Admiral

Michael Waltrip will form his own 2-car team with a second driver to be named later. As for this year, he will drive a Dodge for Bill Davis Racing, who was the second team named by Toyota.<br /><br />The Third team is RED BULL RACING, not yet involved with NASCAR.<br /><br />Kind of ironic... Michael's brother Darrell was one of the first NCTS owners to run for Toyota.

tommays

Admiral

NCCB10201252053.jpg
<br /><br /><br />tommays

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What engine are they using in the trucks and what engine will they use in the Camry?<br /><br />All of the "American" manufacturers are using mid size bodies and pushrod carbureted engines that bear no resemblance to current products.<br /><br />I don't think Toyota has a pushrod, carbed V8. Are they gonna be allowed to use their four cam EFI V8, or are they gonna use one of those fake "production" pushrod engines that everybody else uses?<br /><br />Or, like the current racers, are they gonna build a purpose built racecar with a purpose built antique racing engine with a fake Camry body on it?<br /><br />Calling NASCAR racers "stock" cars is getting to be a bigger joke every year. At least the German and British "touring car" racers are developments of production vehicles and they can turn left, too. :)

QC

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by JB:<br /> What engine are they using in the trucks and what engine will they use in the Camry?
The truck engine is a push rod 358 ci, just like Ford's, Chevy's and Dodge's.<br /><br />
Originally posted by JB:<br /> All of the "American" manufacturers are using mid size bodies and pushrod carbureted engines that bear no resemblance to current products.
Same for Toyota<br /><br />
Originally posted by JB:<br /> Or, like the current racers, are they gonna build a purpose built racecar with a purpose built antique racing engine with a fake Camry body on it?
Yup<br /><br />
Originally posted by JB:<br /> and they can turn left, too.
I think you meant turn right too ;) <br /><br />Personally, I still love NASCAR. No spoiled, overpaid, union workers . . . Sponsor relationship straightens out everything.

Kwas

Petty Officer 1st Class

But when you think about it... is a Japanese car company which builds a car in Kentucky any less American than an American car company that builds a car in Mexico or Canada?<br />
Yes, they are not owned by an American company and the profits go to Japan.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

OOps! I meant to say, "they can turn right or left, too."<br /><br />So this is supposed to make people think that's a Toyota out there?<br /><br />What's next, a Harley Davidson Nextel Cup car?

Pony

Rear Admiral

If I get ridiculed for this.....so be it.<br /><br />I dont necessarily see Toyota giving themselves any advantage here......there are A LOT of NASCAR fans that I would think find the idea of Toyota being a part of the series abhorring.....maybe "turning off" MANY potential car buyers, who may otherwise had no issues with them. Yeah it sounds stupid, so flame away......but a lot of people, especially die hard fans think that way.<br /><br />Now maybe there are some fans who dont care either way who they may entice to buy a Toyota......but enough to justify the expense of doing so???

QC

Supreme Mariner

No flaming P., but the truck series has grown since Toyota joined. Not saying it is because of them, but Toyota didn't cause it to tank either . . .<br /><br />I am kinda ambivalent. With that said, there are very few things that are not improved by competition . . . ;)

Pony

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by QC:<br /> No flaming P., but the truck series has grown since Toyota joined. Not saying it is because of them, but Toyota didn't cause it to tank either . . .<br /><br />I am kinda ambivalent. With that said, there are very few things that are not improved by competition . . . ;)
That is very true QC. The truck series has grown since Toyota joined..........however I think that it has to do with many factors, one of which being NASCAR in general has exploded over the years. Whether Toyota was big part may or may not be true. No way to really tell. Competition as you say does often improve things..........that being said I think it is the personalities that have skyrocketed NASCAR to where it is.<br /><br />I dont have too much of an issue either way, but I would prefer if stayed the way it is now. If its not broke............

eeboater

Commander

Originally posted by Kwas:<br /> Yes, they are not owned by an American company and the profits go to Japan.
So, the profits of the company go to Japan... but with Yota, building their cars in America, that income is going to the workers of America as well... vs. the income going to Mexicans...Canadians...

brother chris

Commander

Originally posted by tommays:<br />
NCCB10201252053.jpg
<br /><br /><br />tommays
I'm not too much into Toyota(even though I have a Corolla), but that there, is a nice looking car!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

What! :eek: No phoney Japanese logos? :confused: What about the ricer tailpipe? :rolleyes: I wonder if we will be able to hear it race or will we just hear the thumping from the big bass sub-woofer! :D Will the driver be slouched and on a cell phone?