Free Haggis at work today....yuck!

brother chris

Commander
Every year, at work, they celebrate Robbie Burns day.<br />They give out free Haggis and scotch at lunch time.<br />Not too many people will try it, once they know what it is made of.<br />And no....no-one can have any scotch...unless you try the haggis.<br />Hey...wait a minute...I think I need the scotch, in order to try the haggis.<br /><br />And just in case someone out there does not know what is in haggis....here it is....eat it up! :eek: <br /><br />1 lb beef heart<br /><br /> 1 lb boneless beef brisket<br /><br /> 1 lb boneless lamb shoulder<br /><br /> 1/4 c onions (dried) or 1 large, chopped<br /><br /> water or beef stock, as required<br /><br /> 1 lb beef liver<br /><br /> 3 cups pinhead oatmeal or rolled oats<br /><br /> 1 cup beef suet<br /><br /> 2 tbs. salt<br /><br /> 1 tbs. black pepper<br /><br /> pinch cayenne pepper<br /><br /> cow's bladder, sheep's stomach or pudding basin <br /><br /> :eek: :eek: :eek: Ummm...no thanks!

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Free Haggis at work today....yuck!

You're singin' my kinda tune. Mmmmmmm . . .

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hey, that don't sound half bad to me.<br />Hold the scotch.

magster65

Commander

My (scottsman) brother-in-law owns a butcher shop and they make thousands of pounds of that 'stuff' every year. They also host the local Robby Burns dinner... I wouldn't be surprised if your haggis came from thier shop too since they ship as far as Sask. now.<br />I won't eat it either...

ZmOz

Captain

I'd eat just about anything for free alcohol! :D

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

Hmmmmm, that isn't a bad recipe but it isn't genuine Haggis. It should contain pork lung too.<br /><br />Of course you've to got realise that the butcher is making artificial haggis. Real haggis or Haggi: plural) are caught only on Rannoch Moor in Scotland. You can talk all you want about how hard fishing is but try and catch a haggis and then tell me how hard it is! Fishing is EASY compared to haggis stalking!<br /><br />The conditions must be just right:<br /><br />1. You need to have a licence from the Department for Rural Affairs (this allows you to make love to the farmer whose land you'll be hunting on).<br /><br />2. The moon has to be in it's third phase, it's usually best to wait until the fourth hour of the third phase.<br /><br />3. The air temperature must be lower than -10'C but higher than -12.326'C.<br /><br />4. There has to be a High Tide.<br /><br />5. The haggis must have been informed in writing, in triplicate, at least 28 days prior to the date you intend to hunt it, of your intentions, the type of ammunition you will be using, the number in the hunting party, the area you will be hunting in and the number of women who will be with (minimum requirement is for two women to one man).<br /><br />6. All hunters must douse themselves (head to foot) in Strathspey Single Malt Whisky: this is the only scent which haggi will not run away from.<br /><br />7. Boots, shoes, crampons, gaiters are forbidden and the hunting party can only wear mocassins made from haggis skin.<br /><br />8. Your weapons may consist of: a crossbow without a drawstring, a tennis racquet-unstrung, a JCB 360' digger, a Claymore APM, or a string quartet from the Scottish Operatic Society.<br /><br />9. Once a haggis is in the air (ie, flying) you are forbidden from hunting it.<br /><br />10. At least one member of the hunting party must be trained in martial arts.<br /><br />11. At least one member of the party should be trained in first aid (in case the haggi swarm and attack).<br /><br />12. At least one member of the party should be from Leith, Edinburgh.<br /><br />13. At least two members of the party should be over the age of 95.<br /><br />14. At least one member of the party should be a serving Justice of the Peace.<br /><br />15. Blindfolds must be worn at all times.......<br /><br /><br />Now, from this you can ascertain two things:<br /><br /><br />1. The Haggis is a very difficult beast to catch.<br /><br /><br />2. One of us was at a Burn's Supper last night and may have drunk more whisky than was healthy :cool: Hic!

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by ZmOz:<br /> I'd eat just about anything for free alcohol! :D
Spoken like a True Scotsman :D :D :D

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

mmmm haggis! Food of the gods. :D

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

I never has it.....It sounds like one of those things that you eat when someone says,"try a bite"...and you do....It is better to not know.....If'n it don't smell good however......I do remember fish head soup at the Morroccan Embassy....No way! :eek: ....JK

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by Stan_Deezy:<br />
Originally posted by Nos4r2:<br /> mmmm haggis! Food of the gods. :D
Spoken like a true Bon Viveur! :D :D :D
Nah, spoken like a glutton :D <br /><br />Seriously though, I've never been one for refusing to try anything. It's surprising how good MOST things taste. Haggis is really nice-kinda like a cross between black pudding and a grainy meatloaf.

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

That's one of the best descriptions I've heard of Haggis Nos and really does describe it to a tee.<br /><br />Now where did I put my painkillers.........my head has a Highland Fling being performed by the Massed Pipe Bands of the Argyll and Sufferin' Highlanders being played from the inside and it "nips" a bit :( :( :rolleyes:

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Recipe is real close to bologna and hot dogs. Just needs a few chicken feet.

JB

What BB said.<br /><br />Oh, and I'll have SBN's ration of that Scotch along with it. :)

Ron G

Commander

Never tryed it,sounds sorta good.scotch at work sounds like a good place to work.<br />Whats black pudding??

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by Ron G:<br /> Never tryed it,sounds sorta good.scotch at work sounds like a good place to work.<br />Whats black pudding??
Black Pudding recipes can be closely guarded secrets but basically it consists of pigs blood, animal fats and mixed with oatmeal or similar with various seasonings and left to congeal. Usually sausage shaped and long (although in this area of the country the oblong shaped stuff is best). Cut into slices and then pan fried, yummy!<br /><br />Favourite recipe is chicken breast stuffed with black pudding and bacon served with a creamy mushroom sauce........be right back, I'm off to the kitchen :D :D

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

mmmmm.... pigs blood....puke..... even my avatar wont eat that! ;)

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by RubberFrog:<br /> mmmmm.... pigs blood....puke..... even my avatar wont eat that! ;)
That avatar will eat anything, trust me. :D

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

It looks like it ate Hanford waste! ;) :D ....JK