Just made an offer on an used Bayliner

11 footer

Lieutenant
Re: Just made an offer on an used Bayliner

I'd spend twice as much money on a 1967 Boston Whaler Nauset as I would on a 1997 baycrapper.

11 footer

Lieutenant

Oh, I'm sorry,<br />That should read "Bayliner" :D

catfish1

Senior Chief Petty Officer

agree with solittle, a first time boater doesnt need a boat that size. and he is right about bayliners, they do seem to put gutless turds on the back of them!<br />hey bondo, why do you call bayliners, bilgeliners? i'm just wondering because it sounds like you are saying they leak, if you are saying that! you would be wrong. mine stays dry always and i have never known anyone that has had a leaky bayliner, i'm not trying to say that a bayliner is the best or anything, but they still make a decent boat!

n0ukf

Petty Officer 2nd Class

crazy charlie, the windows don't leak when open? ;)

dkwalker

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm a new first time buyer, but have spent years around boats...<br /><br />a)I agree that 28 ft is way big for the long step up from a 14 ft runabout. What is your need for such a big boat?<br /><br />b)That Victoria Flying Bridge is a single engined pig... 10 gph, if you're lucky and still getting nowhere fast.<br /><br />C)By comparison, Bayliner Trophy's have a great reputation. Find one of those in 20-24 ft and you've got a fine rig. I know of a 28 ft Trophy w/ twin 327's and it moves very well.<br /><br />D)Look at lots of boats. Try the brokerage marina's. They're hungry with the slow economy... start at half of what they're asking for any you think you like.<br /><br />D)

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

New_sailor,<br /><br />
I have a chance to get into a 1984 Searay 26 feet and a few thousand less . How does this boat compare?
IT DOES NOT!<br /><br /> :eek: Yes, I know my opinion is biased, having my Sea Ray since new in 1990 but still...

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The Searay's a much more Seaworthy boat. Get a survey on it. And run from the ......... :p :p :p <br /><br />Hey, we're just giving opinions here.......<br /><br />And the 74 Bertram is worth double the ...... as well as would be a whaler, or a............

Big Cod

Cadet

Actually Charlie, the reaon we went with the Bayliner was for the folding down seat for fishing. Almost every other model had a permanent seat. Also, I dont see the need for a itty bitty sink in the cockpit. To me that is much wasted space. When dropping close to 50 g's on something we can only use a few months a year you can tell me that price was EVERYTHING. Sorry Charlie but your wrong there. I apologize for drifting from the topic.

jmoerner

Cadet

new_sailor, my wife & I recently purchased a 242cr crownline, out first boat. We looked at larger ones, 28' range, but the towing capacity of my vehicle kept us in the size of 24'. We keep our's in a boatel and that eliminates quite a few of the launching problems and we keep our boat out all weekend long ( floating cottage ) and if this is your goal, I do not think it's the wrong size boat. Both of us were familiar with smaller boats, just remeber you do different things with different boats. As far as Bayliner, they are less expensive to buy new, so they are less expensive to buy old, just make sure it was owned by some one who took care of it, because even a SeaRay does not take care of itself.<br /><br />J&L

Stratocaster

Petty Officer 1st Class

new_sailor, it may be more prudent for you to post your question on a board that can give you a fact-based, unbiased answer, such as BoaterEd.<br /><br />about 5% of the negative posts in this thread are true, the remaining 95% is crap.<br /><br />Common problem when it comes to boats; confusing the definitions of "opinion" and "fact". Bayliners aren't as bad, and SeaRays aren't as good as some would have you believe. And that's a fact.<br /><br />Mike P

Ralph 123

Captain

Well let me just say, Bondo is one of the people here I trust the most. He knows exactly what he is talking about. I would not go against his advice on a matter such as this. Read his posts and decide for yourself.<br /><br />The most important thing to me is SAFETY & SAFETY = QUALITY<br /><br />Some guy and a bunch of kids nearly died here a few months back when the transom of his boat fell off! The boat sunk in seconds and they all were luckily spotted by a passing boat. Now what are the odds that boat was a Formula, Sea Ray, Vs a Bayliner?<br /><br />No amount of saving on cost is worth a life. I would rather have a sewaorthy boat that needs elbow grease than a good looking boat that needs cinderblocks in the bilge for stability.

Bushleaguer

Seaman

Check out this website. It's loaded with info for the purchase of boats and many other topics. I've read the book written by this guy on the purchase and construction of outboard boats. What a great book with tons of useful info. He has some great insights on many makes and styles of boats. Check out the link on the putty cored hulls on many Sea Rays. Very interesting!!<br /><br />Good luck!<br /><br /> http://www.docksidereports.com/index_boat_buying101.htm

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

Please re-read my first post
Dear Pete,<br /><br />There is nothing wrong with a Bayliner.<br /><br />You must understand however, that Bayliners are not what they look to be and definately can not be compared to competitors in the same category.<br />
Stratocaster - you forgot to mention that you are a Bayliner-owner... have to adjust your post for bias -as well as mine regarding SeaRay ;) <br /><br />Apart from the obvious, that any boat has to be well maintained to count equally in this evaluation, there is no doubt that a Bayliner (made by a Kiekhafer/Brunswick company to be 'a bargain') does not match any of the other 'higher priced quality products' (made by another company of the same organisation). They simply make different product lines, aimed at different customer segments. Same story when they made Force AND Mercury: Different product lines aimed at different customers.<br /><br />No matter how long we talk about it, this is the fact! Period.<br /><br />If you are happy with you boat, it is perfect.<br /><br />If others do not understand, bear with them.

mattttt25

Commander

i agree with stratocaster. bayliner is a value boat, but if it was taken care of, could be a fine first boat. my sunbird was an omc value line, but i love it's layout, construction, and cost. searay is a nice boat, but not the best in any event. and they're a value boat when they get large (searay vs. hatteras???)<br /><br />new sailor- good luck and enjoy whatever boat you decide on!

Stratocaster

Petty Officer 1st Class

UU, you are correct, I did forget to mention that I am a Bayliner owner. Sorry, it wasn't intentional. I just get tired of people passing off opinions as fact, so occasionally I'll jump in and present some facts as put forth by myself, an actual owner. Sure I know some guys with Bayliners that have had some problems. And I know guys with other brands that have problems too. Don't believe me, just go to BoatUS powerboat forum...this comes up from time to time and Caroline Ajootian confirms that Bayliner has no more or no less problems than any other brand.<br /><br />Mike P

magster65

Commander

Well, what could I possibly add to this thread? These people are right. I will say though that the bigger Bayliners (32' and up), particularly the newer ones are absolutely beautiful well designed boats. An older smaller unit I wouldn't even consider. Your 28' Contessa is quite a lot of boat for a newbie... be careful. That model isn't as bad as the late 70's Bayliners that gave them the bad (well deserved) name.

cars

Recruit

new_sailor,<br /><br />I bought a 1987 2850 contessa last fall as a first boat. Don't pay to much attention to those who say its to big for a first boat. The first time out just do some low speed practice, throw out a pfd and practice pulling up beside it etc. I really enjoy having the extra room and stability. I see lots of comments on Bayliner Quality. I don't have the experience to speak about anything except what I've seen this year. The boat I bought was well cared for and is frequently mistaken for newer. The bilge stays dry, nothing has fallen off and the engine hasn't skipped a beat. It is underpowered when loaded but its only a 260hp single. It has 900 hrs on it so I'll probably repower it this winter with something a little more powerful. We looked at a new 26' sea ray before buying this one. We got a lot more boat for a LOT less money. I bought this one for the money I was gonna use as the down payment on the sea ray. No payments. Its not as fancy as the sea ray but I don't worry about eye candy that much. Anything mechanical can have problems, the '02 260 sundancer in the next slip has been towed back twice this summer. Get the thing checked out and if its a good boat buy it and enjoy it. <br /><br />cars

mattttt25

Commander

i wasn't going to bump this thread, but cars said what i was thinking. the comments of too much boat are incorrect. i own a 20 footer right now. i also happen to be qualified to drive a 600 footer by the u.s. navy. in simple terms, they handle the same way. both are affected by current and wind, both have a pivot point and turning radius, etc. rules of the road don't change. take it easy, learn the boat, and you'll be the envy of those who claim "that's an awful lot of boat".

salty87

Commander

your first boat will get beat up more, that's a fact. the 28 foot bayliner might not be a bad first boat, i'd hate to beat up a nicer boat learning the joys of putting it on the trailer or in the slip.<br /><br />it is an aggressive start though, and nothing like a 14'. not to mention, the bigger the boat...the more there is to go wrong. the learning curve will be steep but it always is.

cars

Recruit

new_sailor,<br />I forgot to recommend a boating course. My wife and I both took the CG Aux and Power Squadron courses and learned a lot. We were nervous at first about the size of it but it wasn't nearly as difficult as we thought it would be. Not a ding and haven't so much as bumped the dock all summer. Just take mattttt25's advice to take it slow and learn the boat. Most folks I've talked to wish they had saved the money by getting what they want the first time instead of buying several boats of increasing size.<br /><br />cars