Get to half throttle then SLIP

neoga34

Cadet
I have a 1967 9.5 hp Johnson. Starts up good. Pushes the boat fine until I get the throttle turned to about half way. Then it seems like it slips, boat slows down, and the engine revs up really high. If I turn the throttle back down below half way, it picks back up again and drives fine. I haven't worked on boat motors much, but it obviously seems like some sort of gear issue. I drained the lower unit oil, and it had what looked like a tiny bit of dirt, and looks like it may be a TINY bit milky. I can only see the little milkyness if I pour the oil from one container into another, and it shows up just as the container is emptying out.

I was about to pull the lower unit off to expose the gear case, but the screws are VERY tight (most likely lock tightened). Before I pulled it off, I wanted to make sure it's not difficult to get back on. And also get verification that that's where my problem is.

blimp

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Get to half throttle then SLIP

it is likely just your propeller hub slipping, i wouldn't dig into the lower unit just yet. Re-hubbing a prop is around $40 at a prop shop, or get a new prop.

neoga34

Cadet

Do you think I'd be able to spin the prop hub by hand to check? Or do you think it would still be tight enough where I wouldn't be able to really check it?

Here are the few pictures I took to try and show what I explained in the original post.

Attachments

• 0817101749.jpg
    0817101749.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 0817101750.jpg
    0817101750.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 0817101752.jpg
    0817101752.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 0

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like a spun hub on your prop. Change the gear oil while you are at it as well. Mark your prop and hub position with a paint marker, take it for a spin till it acts up and then check to see if the marks line up still. If not then the hub is slipping and needs either repair or replacement.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Do you think I'd be able to spin the prop hub by hand to check?
No.
You know its not slipping until 1/2 throttle. Can you exert that much power by hand?

Mark the prop retaining nut,( or use the head of the cotter pin as reference) put a corresponding mark on the prop and go for a spin and open up until it slips.

Check the marks if they dont line up then the hub is slipping

neoga34

Cadet

Ok thanks! I'll give that a try and post back when I have an answer.