Hard on motor

bailey

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is it a myth or a fact that pulling a tube with 2 people in it at about 2500-3000rpms is hard on a motor (omc 1980-140hp. o/b)
Bailey

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: Hard on motor

Any time the motor is pulling a load that prevents it reaching the top of it's recommended RPM range at WOT, it's lugging at all throttle settings (not enough RPM for the throttle setting), which raises combustion temps and promotes carbon buildup.

Not necessarily irreversible damage, but I guess you could call it "hard on".

[just an opinion, based on stuff I've been told over the years from sources I considered credible, but not on direct personal experience]

bktheking

Vice Admiral

So when I tow a boat in I should be charging a case of beer :D

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

I don't see how it can be hard on it. A motor that size is designed to pull water skiers on a regular basis. Just make sure that it stays running cool and you'll be fine.:cool:

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

About lugging...

Dhadley said:
As for the carbon or coking, it all has to do with combustion temps and load in a 2 stroke outboard. We're not talking engine temps, but rather combustion temps.
here's the results of some testing we did for OMC back in the mid 80's or so. It remains constant today. We used a V4 crossflow on a 16' boat. For the first part we loaded the motor up heavily -- dropped the X dimension and used a prop that would only allow a top rpm of 4800 with 2 people on board and 18 gal of gas. When it got light on fuel and only one person it would still only get to about 5200.
On our test motor we coked up the pistons (starboard bank) in 12 hours of running. We broke rings at 19 1/2 hours.

We rebuilt the motor and set it up on the same boat to turn 5800 with 2 people and 18 gal of fuel. We used no Engine Tune, no Carbon Guard or additives of any kind.
After 500 hours there were no stuck rings or carbon issues of any kind.
Now, if you look at combustion temps with that motor, the temps were much higher in the first test than the second test. High combustion temps promote coking. Coking leads to stuck rings. Eventually the rings break (more correctly the end is sheared off as the piston losses support).

bailey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

First off let me thank everyone for the quick replies. I guess I should of added more info to my question. My grand kids are the ones getting towed, total weight 250lbs. max. ages 11 & 15. I would not think of towing them at the motors max. rpms because it would be too dangerous,speed wise. Just a side bar when I tow someone on skis I vary rarely exceed 4500 rpms, there again the speed is just too scary they say and they don't enjoy the ride. As far as running the motor at its preferred rpm range I for one wouldn't like going for a boat ride at about 55mph all the time especially because the boat has no wind shield. This is not a knock on the suggestions I've received!
bailey

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

Dhadleys text brings up a question my mind....if we prop the boat set up to ACHIEVE the best rpm at WOT...is it then ok, to run the boat at say 4600 rpms?????

I cant see how it could be bad...

as long as the motor isnt advanced in timing for 5800 ropm....running 4600 rpm should be fine.

now if we load up...ei start to tow something big or with lots of resistance...

and push that throttle further forward but only can reach something lss than WOT proper rpms... then we are lugging the motor and making it work to hard

id would think all the adjustments on loading the boat are addressed with props and nothing else( or little else)( maybe weight distribution.)

what is the scenario if we prop the boat to run 7000 rpms at WOT with the wrong prop....BUT...only run the motor at 5000 rpms???

is something bad going on????

lots of good info , hope to hear lots more

bob

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Running the motor at part throttle isn't going to hurt it, no matter how it is propped. Well, propped within reason that is. It just isn't developing the combustion temperatures at part throttle. Go ahead and tube or ski away, and enjoy the day.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

A boat that is set up to achieve it's optimum RPM, in this case 5800, does NOT need to be run at that RPM to prevent coking or other lugging damage from occuring. HOWEVER, if something in the equation changes, in this case, increased drag due to the tow-behind, then it is doubtful that the motor could achieve the recommended wide open RPM. Again, the boat need NOT be running at or near wide open to be lugging.

Think of it as driving your car, towing a trailer on flat ground. You might keep it in 4th gear. Now you approach a hill. If you leave it in 4th gear you will lose speed and the engine may start pinging, even if you push down on the accelerator. So, you would downshift to bring the RPM up and maintain your speed. Same thing happens in a boat. If you increase the load (.ie the tow behind approximates going uphill) then you would need to downshift (.ie go to a lower pitch propeller), so that the motor COULD reach it's optimum RPM, even though you would certainly not want to do so with kids behind you. It's not about running the motor at top RPM, but rather propping it to run so it could potentially hit that mark. If it means swapping props around periodically, then so be it. As DHadley's tests show, it doesn't take long during a heavily loaded situation to cause damage.

That's why you'll often find propellers labeled as "ski props" or "power props". They're good at moving a heavier load. There are also shiftable propellers that achieve the same thing by altering the pitch to match the load. Some composite props claim similar benefit by flexing the blades under heavier loads to essentially lower the pitch.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

fyi, I edited Dhadley's remarks to shorten them, in the full text (see the "decarb" thread in "Engine FAQs") he explains, they varied their speed during the tests.

In response to the original question "Is this hard on the motor?", I say "meh...." It's not hard to decarb a motor anyway, it's just basic maintenance. And lack of basic maintenance is harder on a motor than pulling a couple kids around.

Wonder which is harder on a motor: couple or three hours of tubing, or trolling all day.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

As Chinewalker suggests, put a Ski Prop on it and you'll be better off. You can open 'er up a bit more and not go quite as fast.