1957 evinrude fastwin 18 hp

erik57

Cadet
I bought a 1957 evinrude fastwin 18 hp, i replaced the coils and condensers i took the boat out and wont run under full power? and ideas? second question when i put everything back together and went to pull start it the tiller handle moves to the left, and am confused, is it an easy fix or does it require proffesional help?

bbofasho

Cadet
Re: 1957 evinrude fastwin 18 hp

i had that same problem. the only way i figured it out was on the lake underload adjusting the slow and fast screws a little bye little.

erik57

Cadet

thanks , do you know anything about the second problem?

Fuzzytbay

Chief Petty Officer

First problem, idle and high speed jst adjustments. ( note this must be done on the lake in the boat)First set the high speed jet to 1 1/2 turns open from lightly seated, second do the same with the low speed jet. With the motor warmed up to oppereating speed, run the motor up to WOT, now adjust the high speed jet, turning it in CW 1/8 of a turn at a time, wait a few seconds after moving it, for the motor to react. Keep this up untill the motor stumbles. Once it stumbles turn the jet out CCW 1/16th of a turn till it runs at the highest rpm. Now turn the jet back CW 1/8 of a turn, that should get it right. Now at an idle speed, do the same to the low speed jet, turn it in till the motor stalls, or almost stalls. Then turn it out till the motr reaches max rpm, then turn back in 1/8 turn.
As for the tillarm turning? do you mean the throtle on the handle or the whole motor tiller and all move?

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

What do you mean by handle turning to the left?

erik57

Cadet

when i pull the start cord the throttle handle turns clockwise looking at it and counterclock wise looking at it from the back, am not sure what this is from?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You made the same mistake as hundreds of other people. You didn't adjust the coils. They must be mounted so that the ends of the laminated cores are flush with the machined edges on the posts they sit on. If too far out, they drag on the flywheel magnets, doing what you describe. If too far in, they have too much air gap to the magnets, resulting in weak spark/hard starting.

DaBrickster

Cadet

You should pull the flywheel and make sure the coils are properly mounted (aligned with the machined posts) and the you have .20 gap on the points when at tdc. Racked my brain with the same symptoms on the same motor, readjusted everything and tightened everything really good. Runs great now. Good luck.

jbjennings

Captain

Pics and instructions are in the "points and coils" section of the "top secret files" thread at the top of this forum.
JBJ

erik57

Cadet

thank you everyone for the helpfull hints and are these very reliable motors?

jbjennings

Captain

thank you everyone for the helpfull hints and are these very reliable motors?

:eek::D
they're alright, I guess. I'd probably pass out in shock if my '57 18hp johnson didn't crank immediately.

Sir Robin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think they are great, they run and run. no black box to wonder if it works, and points & caps will leave you change out of a 20$ 2 pulls cold (1 if i get the choke off) and 1 pull warm:)

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer

I have a '54 15HP 'Rude. Had to change the coils last winter and now it purrs like a kitten on cream. Reliable? Extremely so!!! I trust it better than any new one. One thing I've found I really like is if it won't be used for awhile, I remove the sediment bowl on the bottom of the float bowl and drain all gas out of the carb. No worries about varnish in the carb.
Mike

W_Guy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Very happy to see his '57 is getting answers..........:)

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

If my '56 15hp doesn't start first pull, somethings wrong with it. Great engines.

erik57

Cadet

thank you for all your help . i fixed the coils today and bam it fired right up first pull!!! :)

btaylor507

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I just sold my 57 18Hp Fastwin. That motor was great and I miss it already. But I do have a new love in my life (Besides my wife ;) 1966 40 Hp Big twin.. :D

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

I've had at least 4 of these motors and all were good runners. The last one I had (which I just sold last month) was the roughest looking motor I ever had, but I think it was the best runner I ever had too. If the ignition system is tuned perfectly, they'll run forever and about the best outboard ever built in my opinion.:cool: