Rebuilt engine 115hp V4 timing problems

Pessemist

Seaman
Guys-

I have been rebuilding a 1984 Evinrude 115hp V4. Model E115TLCRD

I have it all back together and ready to test fire the engine.

She backfires explosively. It suggests the timing is waay off.

I was meticulous about hooking up the same wiring harness (everything labeled, photos etc) But it seems the firing order is not even close.

Is there an easy way to check if Cylinder #1 is firing at TDC without running the engine?

I installed a new stator and Regulator/rectifier following the wiring of the old parts. Can the stator be put in backwards?

Any suggestions on how to approach this problem? I have the service manuals (Evinrude) But it seems real confusing..mostly how to test parts.

Any help would be great. I got all day tomorrow to troubleshoot...and 3 kids looking to Papa to take them out on the water.

Sometimes it sucks to try and be the hero ;)

doug

Last edited:

Ranger Danger

Seaman
Re: Rebuilt engine 115hp V4 timing problems

From experience, make sure your ignition coils are connected to the proper cylinders. Since your timing is set up in a specific pattern, it's imperative that the ignition coils are correct. I had a terrible time with backfires, and finally I switched the coils around on both sides and got it figured out.

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

From experience, make sure your ignition coils are connected to the proper cylinders. Since your timing is set up in a specific pattern, it's imperative that the ignition coils are correct. I had a terrible time with backfires, and finally I switched the coils around on both sides and got it figured out.

I had the very same experience and I have no idea how the coils got switched. It ran one year and didn't the next. Somebody must have messed with it trying to be funny.

Pessemist

Seaman

I guess what I am asking is how can you test that the right cylinder is firing at the right time?

I am going to re-do the timing tomorrow but I have no idea if the coils are messed up as well. They shoudl be exactly as they were when I took them off.

doug

Ranger Danger

Seaman

You could make a spark tester that tests all 4 coils at once.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=231011&highlight=spark+tester

As for the timing, I have a very simple way to tentatively check your timing. It's what I did to see if mine was close before I figured out the coil issue.

Remove all the spark plugs and rotate the flywheel by hand, observing the number one cylinder. When you see the piston reach top dead center, look at the flywheel and see if the TDC mark lines up with your timing indicator.

On a 4 cylinder, the number one cylinder should be the upper right.

Pessemist

Seaman

Would I be correct in assuming this is the correct firing order?

2 1
4 3

with 2 & 4 on the port side?

thanks!~

doug

Pessemist

Seaman

I built a 4-cyl spark tester and found one bad connection to #3 cylinder. All cylinders are sparking now.

In the process of setting the timing (sent son up for some white-out)

Is there any way to determine if the firing order is correct? It is hard to see the sparks order of firing from the detector (too fast).

Is there any way to test that I have to switch coils around? IE: coil to incorrect cylinder?

I hate to just randomly move things around. The last backfire scared 5 lives out of our cat.

doug

Disregard this post. I reversed both coils and she fired up. Not sure why since all wire were carefully labeled. <shrugs>

Now the problem is she won't shut off at the key. Idle drops but she keeps running.

I am going to look at the wiring at the key but if anyone knows where to look I would aprpeciate a comment.

thanks

Doug (it is what I always tell ya, if it ain't one thing it's another...Rosanne Rosanna Danna)

Last edited:

Ranger Danger

Seaman

Now the problem is she won't shut off at the key. Idle drops but she keeps running.

I am going to look at the wiring at the key but if anyone knows where to look I would aprpeciate a comment.

thanks

Doug (it is what I always tell ya, if it ain't one thing it's another...Rosanne Rosanna Danna)

Try this: http://www.cdielectronics.com/downloads/troubleshooting%20guide/OMC%204%20Cylinder%201978-1998%2065-140%20HP%20%28Without%20Quick-Start%29.pdf

There's a section for troubleshooting the kill switch. The problem might be in your key switch harness, and if you search the forums there are quite a few posts on it.

Pessemist

Seaman

Thanks!

It gave me the tip I needed.

It seems both 4-pin connectors from the timing coil had the cutoff pin bent down just enough to miss the female hole in the receptor. Both sides yet. Pulled apart and straightened one side and that cut half the engine out. Pulled the other connector and straightened out that pin and that killed the engine right off.

Seems to start and run OK. Have some idle adjustments and need to recheck the timing now that it is running. Hopefully have it in the water by the weekend!

Also putting in a water separator/fuel filter. I winder what becomes of the water that gets separated out? Doesn't seem to be a drain on the thing?

doug