Is reprogramming ECM needed after rebuild?

gordond

Cadet
will a 1999 350 Mag mpi that was rebuilt and bored out .30 with ported vortec heads require ECM reprogramming?

Also is the timing going to need adjustment from stock i.e. 8 degress btdc?

It currently has a high idle...1400-1600. If it is revved (say to 3000) and throttled back, it drops to 900-1000 but then slowly raises back up to 1400 rpm.

porker99

Cadet
Re: Is reprogramming ECM needed after rebuild?

Well you can leave the way it is but all that money that you just drop on performance parts will be a waste. I would would highly get the ecm remapped to get the best performance out of the engine.

scoflaw

Ensign

What makes you think your ecm can be reprogramed?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

People do it all the time...:rolleyes:

On automotive, yes, on marine .............. You MIGHT be able to find a couple of places that can reprogram, but I doubt it.

zbnutcase

Commander

Yup, you have to have access to the original software before you can reprogram, and try gettin THAT out of Mercury Marine....and you thought the service manual BS was bad....

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

.....just askin' here so don't jump to hard. ( I'm at least a generation behind all this wiz-bang stuff)

With the older ECM, having been disconnected from a DC source for an extended period of time, wouldn't it re-set to factory default settings once re-energized until the ECM 'learned' the current operating characteristics??

Be easy, please.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

They don't learn anything. The ECM will operate as it was programmed by Mercruiser when it was new.

zbnutcase

Commander

.....just askin' here so don't jump to hard. ( I'm at least a generation behind all this wiz-bang stuff)

With the older ECM, having been disconnected from a DC source for an extended period of time, wouldn't it re-set to factory default settings once re-energized until the ECM 'learned' the current operating characteristics??

Be easy, please.

When you reprogram, the new settings become the new default settings. And I'm not sure the marine ECM's are adaptive like auto OBD II's are.