1993 115 Mariner tilt/trim unit problem

BwanaND

Recruit
This past weekend the hydraulic tilt/trim unit on my 1993 115 hp Mariner clonked out on me. Noticed while running across the lake that it wouldn't trim up and then when loading it onto the trailer I was able to raise the motor but oh so very slowly. Sunday morning it wouldn't do a thing.

The relays seems to be clicking when the toggle switch is pressed so am guessing the motor is shot. Do I replace the entire unit, ram and motor, or simply the motor?

Any suggestions on where to find a good deal on one?

Anything I need to watch out for when replacing it?

nbnewbie

Seaman
Re: 115 Mariner tilt/trim

Just because the relays (or solenoids) are "clicking" doesn't mean that power is being sent to the trim motor. I would first by-pass the solenoids to see if the motor will run before replacing.

BwanaND

Recruit

Took another look at the problem and found that I am getting a bit over 12 volts in each lead at a point just above the electric motor. To me this would indicate the problem is with the electric motor and not the relays/solenoids or a fluid issue.

That being said, do I replace just the electric motor or take the preventative measure of replacing the entire hydraulic unit at the same time?

Any ideas where I can get these units at a decent price?

Here is a picture of the unit in question.
5650.jpg

Thanks for any and all help.

BwanaND

Recruit
Re: 1993 115 Mariner tilt/trim unit problem

I'm guessing that only the electric motor should be changed but new to this and just want to be sure.

BwanaND

Recruit

Continued trying to track down the reason for the electric motor not working on my boat's hydraulic lift last night. This is what I found when I opened it up.

Top end:
5652.jpg

Looking down and in:
5653.jpg

Checked and have juice at the brushes. Worked the armature back and forth by hand. Shined up the top of the armature and the brushes with emery cloth, put it back together, and still not a thing.

I'm beginning to think I need to find a replacement motor. :)

Any thoughts from you motor savvy folks?

sledstew

Petty Officer 2nd Class

she is toasted, time for a new one let me know if ya need one. pm me

RRitt

Captain

Definitely worn out trim motor. yours is fairly rust free. It might be worth a trip to a local auto starter shop ... with rust as light as yours they could just soak it in a vat of that rust-away stuff and repaint.

dutchdog

Seaman

Most alternator/starter will rebuild these motors for a fraction of the cost of a new one. Mine was about $50 verses $500+.