Turning crankshaft pulley

mrsmith35sg

Petty Officer 3rd Class
After getting my sterndrive in working order to repair the problem that made my father put my boat in storage, I have been trying to get the motor to turn after sitting to long. Ive done all the ignition tests in the Adult Only Section and have been trying to get the crankshaft pulley to turn over with a breaker bar.

Plugs are out and everything and the only real question I have is should the crank bolt turn somewhat freely? Ive turned it clockwise but it seems to turn normally and not stay firm like i would think it would need to to turn over. Now Ive never turned a motor manually so just looking for any help. Thanks!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Turning crankshaft pulley

DO NOT keep turning the crankshaft bolt on the front of the vibration dampner
What's going to happen is you either break the bolt or rip the threads out of the crankshaft. neither is a good option.
Pull the starter and use the teeth in the ring gear to bar the engine over. If it won't move that way, then pull the engine and take it apart.

Doernuth

Petty Officer 1st Class

Fill the cylinders with ATF and let sit for a few days. Then try and turn the engine again. From what you have described it is corroded and may need to be rebuilt.

mrsmith35sg

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Don.

Ive read that, but I figured that would be when it was really hard to turn, but either way I wanted to make sure because I'm not trying to do any more damage than Ive already done.

But how would I turn the teeth of the gear?