Brackets for 1.5" Transon Board

cbell11

Recruit
Anyone know where to buy replacement brackets? This is for an 81 Lowes Pontoon. The brackets got bent when the motor drug as I was backing it up my drive way.

The brackets are made of aluminum, they have a 1.5" channel in the middle with holes to screw the transom board to and then they also have side pieces that allow them to be screwed into the transom. Each side is one solid piece.

I am considering just using two 90 degree pieces on each side of the board but would rather stick to the one piece design. If I'm not making sense, let me know and I will take a couple pictures. i bought this used so I'm not real sure if this is a factory design or not.

Conrad

flycaster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Brackets for 1.5" Transon Board

I am considering just using two 90 degree pieces on each side of the board but would rather stick to the one piece design. If I'm not making sense, let me know and I will take a couple pictures. i bought this used so I'm not real sure if this is a factory design or not.

Conrad

Pictures if you don't think it is factory design. Easier to discuss

cbell11

Recruit
Re: Brackets for 1.5" Transon Board (pics added)

Re: Brackets for 1.5" Transon Board (pics added)

Here are a couple pictures. You can see it's just a channelized piece of metal with 1.5" gap and about 1 foot long. There's one bracket like this on each side.

I'm trying to use the 2x6 to straighten the bracket out. I would just feel more comfortable with a new one than one I've had to beat straight.

mount1.jpg

mount2.jpg

5150abf

Vice Admiral

that extrusion was probably made for Lowe so that is the only place you can get it.
Cantact them to see if they still can get some but on a 29 year old boat I wouldn't hold out much hope for that but you never know.

Aluminum extrusion hardens over time so what you have is probably pretty hard by now and I only have one picture to go by but it doesn't look that bent so I woudl use what yopu have or go looking for some stout aluminum angle.

If you go with the angle just make sure you are at least as thick as what you have and use at least the same number of bolts and you should be okay.

Try a local weld shop, they can usually get whatever metal you need.

cbell11

Recruit

Sounds good! Thank you for the response. I will give them a call and see what they say.

I would rather use new pieces but I have been able to get it pretty straight now.

JCH57

Cadet

Hi, I made that mistake once, only i didn't bend anything, i have a 22' Crest, and had a transom saver, that was too short, and i broke a blade on the prop backing up in a parking lot, there was a dip, and bingo.
Now i used a longer, adjustable transom saver, and watch where i'm at lol.
Oh well, like thay say, the happiest tow days of a boat owner, is the day he buys it, and the day he sells it. :D Haven't sold mine yet though.