How to splice wires for noobs!

tswiczko

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: How to splice wires for noobs!

Don't forget the solder.

Even though these are good connections they can still corrode if not tinned with solder. I had a connection(same a sthe lower pic) with heat shrink on it get wet and coronde causing me to loose some of my instruments.

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Good tips for the beginners.

I solder all my connections.
I use a Butane soldering iron.

Has anyone ever tried that cold soldering iron? Always curious about it but never wanted to spend the money on it.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I much prefer the Western Union "Twist".

Remember, proper Marine wire is already tin plated. If you use plain copper wire you really need to "tin" the wires with solder before the twist.

Lots of marine wrenches will yell at me about it, but I always solder the splice before puttin on the shrink tubing "spaghetti".

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I seen this on a car site I go on. Thought it may help out some people new to wiring. There is better ways, but this is a good way to splice wires.

http://ltxtech.com/forums/showthread.php?12834-How-to-twist-wires....-easy-right&highlight=splice

I totally disagree with this method. Good way to have a highly resistive connection someday. You either use a proper crimp connector or twist both wires and solder followed by shrink tubing.

njrextreme

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you read my orig. post, I said there are better ways. This was just a general way to splice. Yes sodering is the way to go. Or crimped splice connectors w/ the heat shrink built into them followed up w/ the black shrink tube. This also can be used for auto, and other power sports. This was just for general wire jobs. :cool:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You are correct. There are better ways and this splice should never be used on a boat or a car for that matter. I am an EE and have worked in military, commercial and automotive electronics companies and I can assure you, this type of splice would never be used. I might use a splice like this on my lawn sprinklers....ok...maybe not. :)

njrextreme

Petty Officer 1st Class

Show us the way all mighty one-lol

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Show us the way all mighty one-lol
You twist the wires together like the drawing for the solid wire and solder followed by shrink tubing. So simple even a cave man can do it!

gonefishie

Commander

I don't have the EE credential or have ever been in the military and I've stayed at the Holiday Inn Express only once or twice. :) I had to replace the trailer connector last year, below is the end result. Pic is not very clear but there's no solder in this job. All the wires are joined together with butt connectors that have dielectric grease pre-filled in them. The whole thing is encased in a semi-rigid heat shrink tubing. It's flexible but not as soft as the normal black heat shrink. It requires more heat, the inner part of the tubing melts when the tube shrinks and effectively seal everything. The wires and connectors don't move at all. The two ends are sealed tight, there's no chance for rust or anything coming loose.

Attachments

• trailer wire.jpg
    trailer wire.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 0

PGFISHER

Petty Officer 1st Class

Has anyone ever tried that cold soldering iron? Always curious about it but never wanted to spend the money on it.

It works on very small jobs, but not on most wiring as found on boats; it just won't put out enough heat.

PGFISHER

Petty Officer 1st Class

I much prefer the Western Union "Twist".

Remember, proper Marine wire is already tin plated. If you use plain copper wire you really need to "tin" the wires with solder before the twist.

Lots of marine wrenches will yell at me about it, but I always solder the splice before puttin on the shrink tubing "spaghetti".

Agreed; the western union twist will withstand a strong pull, when simple twists will unwind and break apart.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

IAll the wires are joined together with butt connectors that have dielectric grease pre-filled in them.
Is that a crimp connector? If so, that is an excellent way of making the connection. I prefer the waterproof Ancor ones with the adhesive in them.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

You are correct. There are better ways and this splice should never be used on a boat or a car for that matter. I am an EE and have worked in military, commercial and automotive electronics companies and I can assure you, this type of splice would never be used. I might use a splice like this on my lawn sprinklers....ok...maybe not. :)

I have to call you on the second application if the cable being used was wd-1 military field cable
(ump-????) or something like that publication?.
The only thing missing is the square knot, which gives strength for the 3 steel wires, but besides that, is the back wrap for the copper wires.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Well, I have seen those kits in museums. :D
But no, the proper way that field cable was spliced (up till I left in 91)
was to tie a square knot, cut the excess steel wire at were it hit the insulation and back twist the copper.
splices should be soldered, when there is time, (but there is never enough time when your in the field)
Somewhere in the library (LOL) I have the diagrams.

jrs_diesel

Chief Petty Officer

They are terrible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ColdHeat

You cannot use them around electronics at all (they can damage semiconductors easily with the way they work), lousy heat output, and they have batteries to deal with.

You are much better off with a normal heater powered iron. With about an hour's practice a beginner can solder with good confidence.

I prefer to use a butane iron for jobs that I can't bring to an electronics workbench (the Weller Portasol is a fantastic butane iron), and for bench work I usually use a soldering station that has several tools for both soldering and de-soldering. Being a Coast Guard Electronics tech doesn't hurt either. :D

As far as splices go I typically use a terminal board if available, or peel back the insulation and solder them together. I absolutely loathe the crimping type splices that peirce the wire to make a connection. They are not watertight and usually reduce the mechanical strength of the wire.

Micahhaase

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Luckily I have been to several soldering schools... In the Navy and for the company I work for now... I have a nice soldering iron and all the goodies at home for soldering anything i need.. The way i do it if its feasible for you is to strip both wires lay them like the ends are facing the same way wrap them with a very small wire thats made for this called bus wire.. use some flux to get the soldering iron to spread nice and let the solder flow to both thermals and then bring the wire back around tie it off with a string so it just doesnt pull apart make sure you clean the solder with alcohol after cause flux can be corrosive to other wires and heat shrink over that....