88 force 125 ?

jspecjune

Cadet
Hi im new to this site and read countless threads of peoples problems to see if i can answer my own question i went and bought a clymer manual as well but still seem to be confused on a couple of things. first is the trigger i believe the manual calls for 8 wires i have six here is a picture.
Picture014.jpg

also the wiring for the cdi mods it seems that im missing wires if anyone could help that would be great.thx
Picture015.jpg

Unforcefull Force

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 88 force 125 ?

Someone installed an aftermarket trigger, which was made by CDI Electronics.

The aftermarket trigger has a single winding , which replaces the stock double winding trigger.

Your trigger wires are:

White/Orange
White/Green
White/Orange
White/Green
Black should be grounded

Your stator wires should be:
Brown/Blue
Brown/Yellow
Brown/Blue/Black
Brown/Yellow/Black

PLUS 2 yellow for charge

There are TWO wires on each STOCK CDI Ignition Pack THAT ARE NOT USED with the aftermarket trigger.

I see you have two different CDI Packs, what color wires do you have on the black pack and what colors do you have on the blue pack? I have seen two different color sets on each.

-Mark

jspecjune

Cadet

thanks for that info i really appreciate it when i get home today i will check the colors on the cdi packs themselves my clymer book doesn't explain how to wire up aftermarket parts and where to?

Unforcefull Force

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No problem, yeah the book doesn't give you any of that information; I think the after-market parts were manufactured after the book was published.

Let me know what the colors are and I'll tell you how to wire them.

-Mark

jspecjune

Cadet

ok now from the left side blue cdi wires start from left to right top three wires are

white/red
white/green
brown/blue

bottom three
white/orange
white/yellow
brown/yellow

now the the right hand side black cdi top three are
white
red
blue

now bottom three
orange

green
yellow

Unforcefull Force

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Remove all of the wires off of the terminal strip.

Okay, The BLUE CDI will control cylinders 3 & 4. Make these connections:

Blue : Connect to Brown/Blue from stator should have a #3 on it

Red : No connection for this wire, just put in on one of the terminals by itself

White/Green : Connect to White/Green from trigger with a #4 on it

White/Orange : Connect to White/Orange from trigger with a #3 on it

White/Yellow : No connection for this wire, just put in on one of the terminals by itself

Brown/Yellow : Connect to Brown/Yellow coming from stator with a #4 on it

Make sure that the wires from the center of the CDI are: Orange connected to coil #3, Red to coil #4, White to terminal on the other side of the motor, and Black to ground.

I have never used a black CDI PACK, I did a little research and it looks like people have used them before; however, it seems like you are missing a wire. You stated a White, Red, Blue on the top, the white wire should have green on it or there should be a wire on top with green on it. The solid white usually goes to the other side of the motor on the terminal and is located on the center of the CDI. Can you take a picture of the back side for me?

Assuming that green strip wore off of the top "white" wire, this is how you would wire the Black CDI:

The Black CDI will control cylinders 1 & 2. Make these connections:

Blue : Connect to Brown/Blue from stator should have a #1 on it

Red : No connection for this wire, just put in on one of the terminals by itself

"White" : (should have a green somewhere on it) : Connect to White/Green from trigger with a #2 on it

Orange : Connect to White/Orange from trigger with a #1 on it

Green : No connection for this wire, just put in on one of the terminals by itself

Yellow : Connect to Brown/Yellow coming from stator with a #2 on it

Make sure that the wires from the center of the CDI are: Orange connected to coil #1, Red to coil #2, White to terminal on the other side of the motor, and Black to ground.

-Mark

Unforcefull Force

Petty Officer 2nd Class

JUST A NOTE

Me personally, I would try to find a used blue pack just to be on the safe side, but this could be a waste of time and money if the black pack is okay to use. I am not 100% sure if it is good or bad to use a black pack with your motor though; I have never used one.

Maybe someone else could give their opinion about useing a black CDI PACK.

-Mark

sidenberg

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 1987 Force 125 that has the original CDI packs and are black. They work fine as my motor operates perfectly. I would think it might be better to have either all black or all blue cdi packs. You dont fish? What?

Unforcefull Force

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Okay Great! The wire that you originally stated was "white" is actually white with a green.

Print the wire connection information I posted and wire everything accordingly.

That?s it!
-Mark

jspecjune

Cadet

Ok this morning i went out wired up the motor no start but have spark on 4 and 2 i was wondering if putting the 4 wires that arnt used in the wrong place i tried to connect them to there proper cylinders here are some pics first the 4 that you don't use then when and where i connected them.
IMG_0222.jpg

forcewires.jpg

Unforcefull Force

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Try this for me:

Blue pack switch two wires:

Switch the white/green with the white/yellow, leaving the white/green by itself.

Black pack switch two wires:

Switch the white/green with the green, leaving the white/green by itself.

Now the colors left with no connection (connect them to the terminal strip by their self) should be red, & white/green, white/red & white/green

-Mark

jspecjune

Cadet

switched them and still no luck when i did that it took spark from 4 and 2 where i previously had spark? kind of frustrating.

Unforcefull Force

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The first way is how it is supposed to be, both white/green trigger wires are for 2 & 4, as they are labeled. You can switch them back, I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't something weird going on with your wire colors. I have seen a CDI hooked up using the "wrong green wires" with the aftermarket trigger.

I found the actual diagram from CDI Electronics just to verify.

Here it is:http://www.cdielectronics.com/InstallSheet/136-4029-4.pdf

Definitely correct.

Try checking the grounds on the coils that aren't firing, if okay try switching around the connection wires going to the coils to see if you have 2 bad coils.
(1 to 2 & 3 to 4) don't forget to switch plug wires!

-Mark

jspecjune

Cadet

ok yesterday i went home excited cause i saw a mistake i made and low and behold i ended up getting 4,3,2, on spark i tried re grounding the #1 but still no luck.

Unforcefull Force

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Did you try swapping the coil with one that is firing just to make sure it is not a coil?

Just pull off the rack of components, grab the two clip connections going to cylinders 1 & 2 from the black pack, squeeze and unplug the orange, put it on #2 and put the other wire on #1. Switch plug wires & test.

-Mark

jspecjune

Cadet

k definitely will try today been on a busy schedule thanx once again .:D