1972 shift switch

dannoj72

Recruit
read lots of posts on three wire but mine has 5 wires. its a 1972 , 65 horse johnson. put a three wire switch in and tried all possible connections. best is starts in neutral but shift to forward and motor goes reverse, shift to reverse and motor goes forward. i am stumped. do i need the 5 wire. and where can i possibly find one ?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1972 shift switch

I think the 5 wire switch has a neutral safty switch built into it.
You need to replace it with the proper switch. Those switches are not available any more, the last one I needed I had to call around to salvage yards to find one. Your not gonna like the price if you do find one.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I can't think of anythig that would cause the scenario you describe,other than a bad switch. Is is a new one or used?

But here are the facts: There are three basic look-alike switches. All three will fit in the control.

Electramatic, three wire
Hydro-Electric, three wire
Hydro-Electric, five wire

Electramatic just flat won't work, so you can't use that one.

hydro 3 wire will work, but you won't have start-in-neutral protection. To make it othrwise work, connect the two white wires together. But be careful, it will then start in gear.

hydro 5 wire provides start in neutral protection.

Use a voltmeter to diagnose the problem.

There should be 12 volts at the purple wires in any gear (key on)
There should be NO voltage on either green or blue wires in forward gear.
There should be voltage at the green wire in neutral gear.
There should be voltage on BOTH green and blue wires in reverse gear.

EDIT: 3-wire switch (1971) is part number 384042; 5-wire switch (1972) is part number 385253. Expect to pay $300 - $400 for a new one---IF you can even find one. They're going fast.

dannoj72

Recruit

special thanks to Daviet and F R for the quick responses to my questions and to the iboats site and the hard working people behind it, for a very informative site having all the answers even if they are the ones you don't want to hear

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

If you determine that you need a switch, you are going to have to search out salvage yards. Run a search and you will find them all over the country.

dannoj72

Recruit

definetely going to look for the switch. once again Thanks Daviet