What a great time to buy a boat!!!!!!!!

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Wow. What a time to get into boating or to upgrade! There are so many good deals to be had for nearly every price range, style, age of boat. New??? Hey, I'd never buy a new boat because some are still like new after 5+ years and cheaper...but IF I were buying new, I'd sure look forward to the negotiation with the dealer in THIS environment!

15-20 year old 18-20' boats going for $3-4k in Very Good shape! That's awful cheap for owning a good boat with MANY years left on it! Heck, 33' cruisers from the late 80's/early 90's go for $20-30k in VG condition, ready to enjoy for another decade plus. Those are $250k boats new in some cases. That's unbelieveable.

The reason for this thread is just to point out what a great time it is to get into boating. Yeah, gas costs a bit more than 5-10 years ago. So what? How much do you REALLY use in a summer? Only large cruisers go through enough to make that big a dif.

Also, there are more mechanics around (qualified, know their craft) working on their own and 2/3 the price of a marina shop. Lots of savings there. Used parts are all over CL and eBay if you need repairs/upgrades! TONS of savings vs. the marina or WM store! You no longer need to cringe at the word "Marine" on something you need to buy for your boat! Well, OK< I still cringe a little, but not like years ago when there was no online competition.

I own a 1985 bowrider that I wouldn't sell, nor would I want to replace it. I just sold a 33' cruiser and I already miss it - even though I had no time for it at all. I may not be able to resist the urge to add another boat soon. The shopping is just so great right now!

Good luck. Go buy a boat and tell your friends and family to "get in while the getting is good". Once they're hooked, THEN you can tell them about all the "extras" like slip costs, winterizing costs, storage costs, throw money away on "extras" costs, etc....

matt9923

Chief Petty Officer
Re: What a great time to buy a boat!!!!!!!!

There are definitely good deals these days, people are basically giving them away around here. Most are selling to get what they owe. low hour mint boats, 25' grady white with 2 250s (or similar not 100% sure herd about it) for 20k or something ridiculous.

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer

You think the deals are good now...wait another 2 or 3 months. ;)

JimJam

Cadet

...but IF I were buying new, I'd sure look forward to the negotiation with the dealer in THIS environment!

Hi TMH; could you give me a piece of free advise?
What might a dealer (out here in CA) consider a reasonable offer on a new boat (Bayline 192) with a MSRP of $33K? Also are there any negotiation tips you could share with me?
Thanks in advance.

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer

What might a dealer (out here in CA) consider a reasonable offer on a new boat (Bayline 192) with a MSRP of $33K? Also are there any negotiation tips you could share with me?
Thanks in advance.

I bought a leftover 2008, new from a dealer earlier this year. The MSRP was at $33k. I paid $18.5k with a trailer with brakes.

roughshot

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks in advance.

Offer Half and start the negotiations from there.
If they want to sell, they won't be offended and will counter offer.
And you'll end up with a price you can live with. Much like cars. the minute you pull that $33K boat off the lot it will be worth $16.5K.
I this market, an item is only worth what someone will pay for it.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

You think the deals are good now...wait another 2 or 3 months. ;)

Ditto that. Frankly, I don't think the deals in my area are all that great right now. I'd want to see what happens in Sept. and Oct., when the boats are due for haulout and the current owners would rather not hassle with winterizing and storage concerns (along with whatever broke during the season).

MacPointMan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I cringed when I looked at prices for new motors and Drives. Mercruiser motor and drive nearly $6,000. Thankfully I don't need either at this time (Knock on wood).

Thankfully there are much less expensive alternatives out there as well. SEI for one.

I would agree it is a good time to get into boating. I looked at a 2010 Regal 1900 with a Mercruiser 4.3 and drive. Dealer wanted $23,000 a 2008 Cobalt 210 was 28,000 Both out of my price range but knowing what these boats go for new WOW.

Bayliner 175 12,500 Dealer listed at 14,500 He was like I cant go any lower than that. I told him thats what they have on the website. You can't tell me you cant do me $12,500. could picked up the 195 (stock) for probably 17,500 or so. There are some good deals out there.

In the end I bought used. Paid cash for her and better I don't have a boat payment. I am going to put away what I would have in a boat payment and in five years I'll have enough to buy a new boat.

MacPointMan

grneop

Cadet

I cringed when I looked at prices for new motors and Drives. Mercruiser motor and drive nearly $6,000. Thankfully I don't need either at this time (Knock on wood).

Thankfully there are much less expensive alternatives out there as well. SEI for one.

I would agree it is a good time to get into boating. I looked at a 2010 Regal 1900 with a Mercruiser 4.3 and drive. Dealer wanted $23,000 a 2008 Cobalt 210 was 28,000 Both out of my price range but knowing what these boats go for new WOW.

Bayliner 175 12,500 Dealer listed at 14,500 He was like I cant go any lower than that. I told him thats what they have on the website. You can't tell me you cant do me $12,500. could picked up the 195 (stock) for probably 17,500 or so. There are some good deals out there.

In the end I bought used. Paid cash for her and better I don't have a boat payment. I am going to put away what I would have in a boat payment and in five years I'll have enough to buy a new boat.

MacPointMan

We did pretty much the same thing, after search for a new boat all spring we couldn't find a deal that would be comfortable for us.
On father's day we bought a 1996 Maxum 17' in really good condition for $2300.00, even though the interior is like new, we knew the engine need some work ( lower unit ). She end up costing us a little over $3000.00.
NADA list her at $5980.00 with all the opitionals.
Our goal now is to keep her for couple years and try to find another deal in something on a 20' to 24' range.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I bought a leftover 2008, new from a dealer earlier this year. The MSRP was at $33k. I paid $18.5k with a trailer with brakes.

Well, I'd say that puts you in the ballpark. However, engine type/hp and other add-ons make a big dif. I'd assume the 192 comes in a 4-cyl and a 6-cyl Mercruiser but not sure. Also, what model year it is changes the negotiations.

And yes, I guess some deals will get better when the season is winding down. Of course, if you wait then YOU missed the rest of this season and YOU have to pay for winterizing/haul out/storage anyhow.

Just to keep the thread on track... I started it to talk about the general state of boat buying/selling and how great a time it is to be into boating - new or an old captain. Specific questions are better handled in a new thread I think (but hey, I'm not a Mod here so what do I know.)

mnewb1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I certainly prefer to buy used, I don't like paying for instant depreciation.

grneop

Cadet

I certainly prefer to buy used, I don't like paying for instant depreciation.
I'm with you!
I never bought a brand new car, for the exactly same reason and I'm sure you won't see me with a brand new boat.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm with you!
I never bought a brand new car, for the exactly same reason and I'm sure you won't see me with a brand new boat.

I'm with you on that... however, a new boat is waaaaay further from what I'd ever buy than a new car. At least with a car you expect it's starting to get "not new" after 3 years or so. With a boat, if maintained properly, stored carefully, not left in the water, etc. it can be close to like new for 10+ years. Heck , most people drive their cars some, but MANY use their boat for 100-200 hours over 5+ years! That's like putting 10,000 or so miles on a new car! less really.

Now, buying new is great if you want to and you aren;t hung up on the true value purchase. now more than ever you can get new at enough of a discount to almost equal a 1-2 year used from a few years ago. Heck, we NEED new boat buyers NOW so we have some to pick from 5+ years down the road.

Bigperch

Seaman

Even in hard times there's enough good people out there with more than comfortable income to always buy new. Boat, pick up truck, car, mini bike, whatever, they simply don't care.

Unfortunately there's a lot of greedy bastages out there, too. Money hungry, stingy people who assuredly don't need to be, but are because they enjoy it.

There's a lot of people out there, and I've done it myself, who have no more need or want of somthing they've purchased and kept in really good shape, because taking good care of their equipment is more important to them than money, who full well understand 1/2 the purchase price was left at the dealer's driveway when they pulled out. They'd rather see something they no longer need in the hands of someone who'll appreciate it for what it is and get some use out of it and give them a "good deal" than have it sit in the shed and rot.

Most people wouldn't know a "good deal" if it bit them right in the gut...
To most folks, that means "I stole it from some dumb schmuck because he needed the moeny".

Not my style.

And I won't buy from people who are that way, because they deserve to eat dust in my opinion.

I'm more intrested in seeking good buyers and good sellers than what's being bought or sold, that's secondary.

Just the way I am.
And I can smell a greedy, hording, money hungry, "I got a good deal" bastage a mile away. They look at the world and their fellow man all wrong. I don't like them. And I usually let them know about it.

Shoot. I'm the guy that pays more than is asked, goods or services, when I recognize something's being undersold. Especially in the area of services! It is written, You're blessed so you can be a blessing to others. So stop withholding the blessings the good Lord has for ya and deal with people properly. It certainly ain't gonna hurt ya any...
Sorry for the rant....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Unfortunately there's a lot of greedy bastages out there, too. Money hungry, stingy people who assuredly don't need to be, but are because they enjoy it.
So where were you when I was selling my car?

Seriously...I think you are a bit naive. Supply and demand dictates the price...not people being stingy or bastages as you call them. Same goes on day in and day out. When our clients come to my company, they demand to get the best deal they can as we do with our suppliers when we build our product. Its called capitalism.