2006 40hp Merc - fuel starvation?? Help

BBDAWG

Seaman Apprentice
Took the Mercury (40hp ELPTEFI (2006) SR#1C018470) out today for the first time and the engine started dying. The engine started immediately, ran great for about a half an hour, then when running at "No Wake" motor would start to die. Could no longer run any faster than idle after restarting several times.

(Just got the boat out of the shop where they replaced the fuel pump and checked out the motor. All was in good running shape. The boat had sat for a year with no fuel stabilizer and the gas turned to glue.)

It acted like the engine was not getting enough fuel. Could push full throttle and only hit idle after a while. Engine died and restarted several times trying to make it back to the dock. The engine would run at idle for 10-15 minutes before dying. At about 1.2 throttle it run about 1 minute before dying.

I had already purchased a new fuel hose, connector, squeeze bulb and a new tank with new fuel before I took it to the dealer for the repairs. I also made sure the air vent was open, infact I even had my wife hold the cap off for a little while but it made no difference.

Took the boat home and checked the fuel filter. It had some "snot" in it and some other junk. I cleaned the filter and bowl and pumped about 3-4 cups of gas into a bucket then put the filter back on.
Ran the engine at about 1800 rpm in idle and fwd and it died again in about 20 minutes.

I cleaned out the fuel bowl again, still saw some snot, put some sea foam in the tank, cleaned the bowl and filter with some sea foam and put the filter back on. I ran the engine with ear muffs at about 1800 rpm at idle and then in gear and it ran for 20 minutes. It was running when I shut it down.
BUT
I noticed something I don't understand.
When I squeeze the primer bulb the fuel fills to the top.

IMG_0045.jpg

When the engine runs at about 1800 rpm, the fuel in the bowl drops to about 1/4inch in the bowl.

IMG_0043.jpg

Is this normal???:confused:

I've promised the grandkids a big day on the water tommarrow but am afraid to take them out yet...

latin monkey

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 2006 40hp Merc - fuel starvation?? Help

when you took it to the shop did they clean the injectors? sounds like your fuel system is gummed up

BBDAWG

Seaman Apprentice

YES, they told me that they cleaned the entire fuel system, ran the engine at 4500rpm in the test tanks and all was fine.

Followup today. I took the boat to the shop this morning and they checked it out, ran it a 4500rpm again for 30 minutes with no issues. I picked the boat up and went to the lake. Ran wonderful for about 30 minutes then when running at WOT the engine started slowing down until it finally died.

I checked the fuel filter and it filled with a single squeez of the primer bulb. I started th engine again and it would only run at slow idle (even at full throttle).
I returned the boat to the shop for further testing. Unfortunately the mechanic who replaced the fuel pump on Friday and did the fuel system cleaning, did not work today but will be back tomorrow.
The other mechanics are quite complexed so far..

BBDAWG

Seaman Apprentice

OK, issue finally resolved.!

Picked up the boat again today and went straight to the lake. Ran it for over an hour at all kinds of rpm and ended up burning 2.2 gallons of gas. It ran absolutely smooth and didn't miss a lick.

The dealer charged me ($300) for: Tank test, 'clean fuel system', back flush engine and R&R exhaust cover, including a few minor parts.

They also removed the VST again today (no charge) and cleaned the strainer on the bottom of the fuel pump they just installed. They said there was a gritty substance in the bottom of the VST but could not tell what it was. When they had the engine open, they saw a 'water leak' at the exhaust cover. They said it appeared it was a bad gasket install from the factory and had to be fixed.

My issue is, I would have thought they would have done a 'clean fuel system' when they replaced the fuel pump. They infact told me that they did clean the fuel system but when I looked at the charges from the original bill, they only charged for the labor to R&R the fuel pump (a little less than $800.00).

SO, I had not been charged for it whether they did it or not.

Bottom line is now at $1100.00 in all the engine repairs, for what is now a GREAT running engine. I really like to Thank the guys at this shop/dealer as I think they did have our best interest in mind. They did try to hold the cost down for us but this issue just nipped them in the back end. I would like to give the dealer a BIG Thank You by mentioning their name but by the same token, some may take what they did (or did not due) as a negative so I will just thank them by name, Gary, Angel and Charlie. Thanks Guys for your help!!