being towed back in

fishingman220

Chief Petty Officer
so i finally joined the being towed back in club. todaywe went out to the beach, just getting back in the water off of having carb problems and just barely getting back 3 weeks ago, well i went to leave and either chewed the teeth off the starter or ring gear, i think ring gear. but i had to be towed about 5 miles back to the dock for the first time ever, hopfully the last cause it sucks.

flycaster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: being towed back in

You didn't think to use the emergency pull starter rope??:eek::eek:

Daley

Petty Officer 3rd Class

According to his sig, he's got a pretty big engine to be using an emergency pull-starter rope.

badkins50

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I know the feeling, it SUCKS specially when you see everyone else having fun. Mine was about 2 weeks ago when the only thing that I did not replace stopped working - the fuel pump. It was such an embarrassment. To make matters worse when I grab the brand new anchor and threw it in, the rope was a great big tangled mess that took about an hour to untangle. The only thing that help me feel better was the tow boat was towing another boat as well and said that he had been very busy all day. Good luck next time.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

so i finally joined the being towed back in club. todaywe went out to the beach, just getting back in the water off of having carb problems and just barely getting back 3 weeks ago, well i went to leave and either chewed the teeth off the starter or ring gear, i think ring gear. but i had to be towed about 5 miles back to the dock for the first time ever, hopfully the last cause it sucks.

been there-them fuel pumps just don't get better by themselves-of course hind sight is always 20/20.
last year , only time ever, I had to be towed in 8miles -3 hrs with a boat load of inlaws.:redface:
got back to slip after midnight. atleast we did not run out of beer.

fishingman220

Chief Petty Officer

if you can pull start a 350 v8, your more of a man than me!!!!!

korygrandy

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Too bad you can't "drop the clutch" on boats. It could come in handy.

fishingman220

Chief Petty Officer

we did put the boat in gear and spun the prop to move the flywheel to a good spot but didnt work, it would make 1 revolution and then let go again

tburda

Seaman

we did put the boat in gear and spun the prop to move the flywheel to a good spot but didnt work, it would make 1 revolution and then let go again

Hey, thats probably more than I would have tried on the thought of a fried starter lol.

Don't be so down on yourself about getting towed, it's all part of the boating experience...it happens to everybody.

We had to get towed back the 2nd day out on the boat for the first time in 3 years...thought something was catastrophically wrong with the carb...appears the boat was just out of gas :rolleyes:

Gauge wasnt reading so well lol.

sheridon

Seaman Apprentice

Couldn't imagine pull starting a v8. Back when my dad had a '90 Bayliner with a 90hp 3 cyl force engine it had the emergency pull start cord. We tried it out once (when the engine was actually running). The engine won, couldn't even get one full rotation out of it.

bassman284

Commander

My 9.9 4 stroke pulls hard enough that I don't think I'll try the 60.

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have pull started my 60 3 cyl Mariner using the emergency pull cord just to see if I could start it. No problem, at least in the driveway on the muffs.

ahoy49

Seaman

I am a charter member of this club. We have been towed 4 times this year alone. Twice because we ran out of gas, once we blew a cooling hose, and once because of carb troubles.:redface: Wife says one of us is stupid!!!!:rolleyes:

Ahoy

CV16

Chief Petty Officer

I pull started both my Merc I6's, a 73 150hp, and a 66 85hp. They aren't the easiest, but I can do it if needed, that's always good to know!

Triton II

Commander

I pull started both my Merc I6's, a 73 150hp, and a 66 85hp. They aren't the easiest, but I can do it if needed, that's always good to know!

Out of curiosity I tried with my F60 - no way on earth could I get enough leverage on the emergency pull start rope to do anything other than gently pull each cylinder past TDC. So I haven't even tried to pull start my F115! Have joined the Volunteer Marine rescue for $60 a year which includes one free tow in. Still hoping it will never happen, but I guess someday I'll join the dreaded tow-in club! Finger's crossed 'til then. :D

TII

45Auto

Commander

I tried pull starting my Force 120 just to see if I could do it. Wrapped a ski rope around the flywheel groove and gave it a yank. It started right up.

NHGuy

Captain

I have pull started an old and I mean really old Evinrude V4 115 with a wrap & pull setup. I think I was 20 years old and in very good shape a the time. Plus the age of the engine probably reduced it's compression resistance!