Need help from experienced boaters

probeklze03

Cadet
Re: Need help from experienced boaters

not reel exp. on boat but glass ane engines i am. do not run the gas drain dry vacuum then put fresh gas in with some sea foam, spray carb down wit carb clean and alow to evap before starting. and check for leaks on all seals and lines once running. sitting that long you might need a carb rebuild. as far as glass goes anything can be fixed the question is how to go about it, sounds like a cap to hull disbond, get some epoxy that they use on corvettes to bond back to gether. can go into more detail later if needed. 4000 a lil steep in this econo shoot for 3000. there will be more wrong than you think wit a boat sitting that long, seals like to get hard and draw up sitting like that. also trailer tires will prob have flat spots.

thanks for the advice, one of my employees said the same thing about the epoxy,says it happens to alot of boats where to pieces mate. tires look good and trailer has new axel which i will grease before moving, also i was told to check exhast hoses?

robert graham

Admiral

Better count on a set of new tires, especially if you're heading out on the interstate highway. Don't worry how they look, after 6 years, they're ready!
After a couple of tread seperations/blow-outs on the interstate with my boat, I just replace my tires every 3 years. Trailer tires are about $100 each and check the tire pressure, they run more air than a car tire, mine are 50PSI.

Philster

Captain

Boats tend to sit when there are problems that affect the use, and the owner is out of money/answers to address the problems.

probeklze03

Cadet

Boats tend to sit when there are problems that affect the use, and the owner is out of money/answers to address the problems.

the owner is an 65 yr old that said his wife was not into it anymore and they camp alot so the boat just sits not sure why he waited this long to decide to get rid of it, if i did nt approach him it might sit there a couple more years

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

thanks for the advice, one of my employees said the same thing about the epoxy,says it happens to alot of boats where to pieces mate. tires look good and trailer has new axel which i will grease before moving, also i was told to check exhast hoses?

If you get the boat, don't use epoxy on the cap/hull joint. If the boat ever has to come apart it will be a problem. The cap and hull are held together with screws or pop rivets and are not permanently "glued" together. Just use marine caulk.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

the owner is an 65 yr old that said his wife was not into it anymore and they camp alot so the boat just sits not sure why he waited this long to decide to get rid of it, if i did nt approach him it might sit there a couple more years

He's like my dad. he buys stuff, uses it a few times and then just lets them sit. Nothing wrong with them, just never uses them. He has a Starcraft Islander that I've been trying to get from him. Will likely need new boots on the outdrive and a carb cleaning now, but everything was fine when he parked it about 6 years ago. I was actually with him the last time he used it and it ran perfect.

marktwainsonic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well the nada guide is giving average sell value at 3,500 and this boat is def better shape than average

I'd be much more concerned about the lack of engine use and the water in the bilge than the condition of the interior. I would not call a boat that's been sitting w/ gas for six years and takes on water (no matter how simple the explanation) "better shape than average".

I would much prefer a well used and well maintained boat than one that sat unused and looked good.

cr2k

Captain

Gee and no one has even breached the subject of possible cracked block or head/head gasket issues common with the 3.0.

Was the boat properly winterized when it was parked?

Check the oil before you run it and again after you run it.

A boat in that shape with unknown problems is not worth 4K.

You can buy a nice boat that is running for that much.

Purecarnagge

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bottom line on this thread is if you can get a steal of a deal (he is your neighbor though) then do it, but this is in the end a project boat. Until you start some of this stuff you have no idea what your getting into.

probeklze03

Cadet

well the nada guide is giving average sell value at 3,500 and this boat is def better shape than average

I'd be much more concerned about the lack of engine use and the water in the bilge than the condition of the interior. I would not call a boat that's been sitting w/ gas for six years and takes on water (no matter how simple the explanation) "better shape than average".

I would much prefer a well used and well maintained boat than one that sat unused and looked good.

cant say i agree with this, a couple hundred in new hoses and seals is an easier fix than a couple g's in interior and a beat up boat.

boat was winterized and ill check for cracks in block when i start motor and run water though

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

well the nada guide is giving average sell value at 3,500 and this boat is def better shape than average, now i wont know about the mechanical side of it until after i drain the gas and start it up to see if everything looks to be in decent shape. to the guys defense i went to hi mabout buying ot after not seeing it move for 5 years.

the leak from what i was trying to explain is def under the bumper rail bot on that boat when it is not up on plane sits in the water, i will look more into that tonight also and try to get some pics so you guys can help me out

i appreciate all the advice and as far as the motor goes im not sure im convinced that the 4cy is a bad option cause of what im using the boat for i dnt need to go 40mph on the lake but tubing worries me about the added drag on an already undersized motor from the consensus on here

NADA pricing assumes the boat is currently running and in good condition. I'd put a value (using NADA as a guide) at $2000-2500, and that's being generous. If it don't run, and it don't float, it ain't worth.... nada. :D

marktwainsonic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

cant say i agree with this, a couple hundred in new hoses and seals is an easier fix than a couple g's in interior and a beat up boat.

boat was winterized and ill check for cracks in block when i start motor and run water though

Good that he winterized it before the long storage. I in no way meant a beat up boat that ran equals a nice boat with some issues. "Well maintained" doesn't indicate you'd need to replace the interior.

However I've got to stick to my guns that a boat with old gas that takes water isn't above average.

Might take more than hoses and seals. But...if he's giving you the chance to run it that may resolve those issues for the most part.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

NADA don't mean jack. NADA says my 1988 Sae Ray has an average retail of $1380. I know I could sell my boat for 3 times that price and it would be gone in about 2 days. NADA pricing is all whacked up. I have no idea where they get their numbers but I have never seen a NADA estimate that I would calll right. Also, NADA values usually don't include the trailer.

marktwainsonic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

NADA don't mean jack. NADA says my 1988 Sae Ray has an average retail of $1380. I know I could sell my boat for 3 times that price and it would be gone in about 2 days. NADA pricing is all whacked up. I have no idea where they get their numbers but I have never seen a NADA estimate that I would calll right. Also, NADA values usually don't include the trailer.

For the most part, I have to agree with this, too :)

probeklze03

Cadet

I made it over to the boat tonight to get a better look at this thing, after finding out a hose would not reach the tank i ended up taking out fuel selonoid and put a hose inside tank to drain. after all of that and putting in a battery i had in garage i put new gas in and tried to start no luck i heard starter clicking, so i just used a wrench to jump starter, fired up right away, let temp get up to about 190 then put the water through motor temp dropped back down to 170, no sputter when put to w/o and back down to idle left boat run for about 15 mins and no sign of crack in block, prop spun when put in forward and reverse, all gauges seem to be working and blower n bilge would turn on.

anything else i should check?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Pull out the dipstick and check for milky oil...it may not show from running it just 15 min...check the level too if its way high over the full mark then it could have water in the pan...
Pull the bottom plug on the drive and check for milky gear oil...if it sits for a while and there is water in there the water will come out first being heavier than the gear oil...

If it runs OK on the muffs...I'd then remove the prop...and try shifting it from neutral to fwd and neutral to reverse to make sure the shift system at least works on land...

Then do a water test...make sure it doesn't overheat...idles well..reaches its peak RPM...and shifts right into gear and back without grinding or jumping out of gear or engine stalling...THEN check the engine oil AGAIN for milky oil...

remember no matter how good of a deal it seems...if you have to do major repairs then it aint a good deal anymore....I'm talking engine replacement...drive replacement...new interior...any structural work...

The worst problem to me that old boats can have is rotted wood in the structure...I'd actaully check for that first...walk all over the deck...look for brown stains under glassed in areas...look for cracks around the drive mount on the transom...tap with a plastic hammer...good wood under glass makes a sharp rap...rotted wood makes a dull thud...

any structural rot run fast from that boat....

probeklze03

Cadet

i purchased the boat, everything from the gauges to the prop seem to be in great shape, had to get a new selinoid for trailer trim and battery but that was it, im putting in the water tomorrow so at that time i will know for sure, also one thing i noticed no drain plug, are these all the same size?

ping65810

Cadet

Many drain plugs are different sizes, however you can always change out the whole drain easily. As for the engine, I have a 20' Renken powered by a 3.0 MerCruiser...It has more then enough power. My boat is a 20.5' bowrider, deep vee hull and it powers it along fine. I have had 5 people on board with gear, etc and it still goes good. When tested on GPS, it did 41mph at WOT, and thats with a prop thats badly damaged and missing whole chunks off the edges. Lots of bigger boats have that same motor, it has enough power and is very reliable and effiecient. Amazing GP/Hour ratings, just a little noisy. Best of luck with the new boat!!!