'69 55hp is messy in the water

gunterm

Seaman
I see some oily trails in the water while it runs in the barrel. Is it supposed to leak what appears to be unburned fuel?

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: '69 55hp is messy in the water

After a few minutes in a barrel, the water will look real nasty.

ON the lake it wont look bad.

asm_

Petty Officer 1st Class

Now you know why some lakes ban 2-stroke... or in California, they ban none-CARB marine motor at some lakes.

B

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

69 was probably before the motor had a recirculation system for the fuel. Drain hoses for the cylinders probably run on the port side and meet at a Tee then go to one hose that drains down the kingpin and into the motor leg. When chrysler built these they were not worried about pollution. Excessive carbon build up and a weak ignition will create more unburned fuel. I removed the hose draining down the motor leg, drilled a hole in the lower cowl and put a small plastic bottle to catch the draining fuel. Does not look pretty but people cant see where I have gone on a calm day anymore by following the steam of pretty colors in the water.

gunterm

Seaman

Thanks for the tip eurolarva! I'm going to do that also, I feel slightly guilty that I'm polluting more than others.

gunterm

Seaman

Hey I almost forgot to ask, is it possible to pour that fuel back into the tank, or could I just run a hose back into there?

john from md

Commander

While you are at it, change your fuel pump diaphram. When they start to deteriorate, they will run but dump alot of fuel.