Boating? starting to worry

tuffshot

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I bought my first I/O boat in 03. It was a 1993 Maxum 18ft runnabout, after putting a new starter on it I never had any trouble out of it for the past 7 years. I just sold it a couple of weeks ago to get a smaller Bass Boat. No one wanted to go boating so I got the smaller boat. The rest of the family is off doing their own thing these days.

The reason for the title is, about all I have been reading on here are problems and troubles with either the boat of especially the outboard motors. You guys are scarein me ta death. I am going to be out and have a catistrofic failure or something. Or it is going to take my life savings to repair the outboard motor.

Here is the replacement boat for the Maxum (which I do miss) but it serves my purpose and area lakes. This boat is an 1989 model Bass Tracker with a 90 hp Johnson Tracker outboard. There are a few minor issues but for the most part I think I can handle them. But you may be getting some frustrating questions from me from time to time. (hope you don't mind)

DSCN1017.jpg

DSCN1018.jpg

JimJam

Cadet
Re: Boating? starting to worry

Don't worry - if your 1989 Bass Boat was a chick she would be in her prime. :)

tuffshot

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Don't worry - if your 1989 Bass Boat was a chick she would be in her prime. :)

JJ,

My kids are older than than the 89, except the youngest.

The gentleman that bought my old boat has 3 young sons that will have a great summer of memories with their dads new boat.

DSCN0389.jpg

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

Down here in FL, probably 80% of all boats are O/B powered...we need to tilt them up and keep the LU out of the hot salt water.

You'll be fine, enjoy your new boat!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

all boats break down. Your bass tracker will be easier to paddle to shore.
You do have a paddle, right?

The difference between a 17 and a 21 year old motor is nothing, as far as age goes. The life span of inboards v. outboards? all based on maintenance--except that rubber flap that keeps the water out and puts the whole boat at risk....

mbgaski

Seaman

Your boat looks like it's in great shape for the age (actually for an '89 the thing looks immaculate - it was obviously well cared for). I wouldn't worry. Eventually most mechanized things will require SOME service, but outboards in particular aren't bad. 95% of the boats in this area are outboard powered.

That's actually kind of interesting though. I knew Tracker made 'glass boats under their Nitro brand, but I didn't know they ever made them specifically branded as Trackers.