Fuel Water Separators.... Another Q

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander
So I pulled the FW Separator from my I/O, so I could get the cartridge number to replace it. Turns out, it's this one: http://www.iboats.com/Clear-Site-Wa...4959895--**********.656350873--view_id.367762

Ok, but: Outboard engine use only! Umm.... I guess the PO didn't see that exclamation point. So, is there a filter I can use? I'd hate to have to replace the entire FW Sep system because of this. Grumble. :mad: What I'm wondering is some of the filter canisters interchangeable?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fuel Water Separators.... Another Q

The filter canister doesn't know or care what type of power you have on the boat. The difference is the bottom of the filter. The bottoms can be clear plastic with a drain or a solid metal bottom with drain. The clear plastic bottoms can only be used above deck.

Can't help you with the Moeller stuff but the bottoms are interchange on Racor filters.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

The filter canister doesn't know or care what type of power you have on the boat. The difference is the bottom of the filter. The bottoms can be clear plastic with a drain or a solid metal bottom with drain. The clear plastic bottoms can only be used above deck.

Can't help you with the Moeller stuff but the bottoms are interchange on Racor filters.

Clear bottoms can only be used on outboards. Not on i/o's.

Moeller bottoms are interchangeable. Moeller also takes a standard filter. Get a gas filter and a metal bottom and you are good to go. And you are not forced to use the high priced Racor proprietary filters.

flakeys2005

Seaman Apprentice

I just had a similar situation but I was installing a F/W separator and when I opened the package it had a warning that it was for outboard use only. I posted my situation on here and took the system back to the marina today and it was discovered that the manufacturer mistakenly printed "for outboard use only" on all of their packaging, so what I learned is that if the filter has a glass bowl on the bottom it is for outboard only. If it has a metal bottom it is O.K. for your I/O.
Mike.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I just had a similar situation but I was installing a F/W separator and when I opened the package it had a warning that it was for outboard use only. I posted my situation on here and took the system back to the marina today and it was discovered that the manufacturer mistakenly printed "for outboard use only" on all of their packaging, so what I learned is that if the filter has a glass bowl on the bottom it is for outboard only. If it has a metal bottom it is O.K. for your I/O.
Mike.

The bottom configuration has nothing to do with which type of motor you have. In order to comply with U.S. Coast Guard regulations, see-through acrylic bowls are only permitted below deck with outboard engine applications. If a see-through bowl is used with an I/O or inboard engine application, the filter must be installed above deck. Filter systems with metal bowls can be installed above or below deck regardless of engine type.

robert graham

Admiral

That filter you have looks a lot like the one I got from Walmart for $27, including the canister. Replacement canisters are $8. It's an all-metal unit, and I just unscrew it now and then, dump the water/crud out into a clean container so I can see what's there, put it back on. It's been fine for the last 3 years, but I do keep a new spare canister on the boat for when I need it. I know this unit works because ever since I installed it, there's never any water/crud at all in the motor mounted filter/screen unit.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

The bottom configuration has nothing to do with which type of motor you have. In order to comply with U.S. Coast Guard regulations, see-through acrylic bowls are only permitted below deck with outboard engine applications. If a see-through bowl is used with an I/O or inboard engine application, the filter must be installed above deck. Filter systems with metal bowls can be installed above or below deck regardless of engine type.

Both Racor and Moeller specify that clear bowl filters are for outboards only. No mention of above or below deck use. I am sure I read this in the USCG regs, but maybe I'm wrong?

Also, all fittings in the fuel line are to be above the tank or have anti siphon, which would indicate the the filters must also be mounted higher than the fuel tank if no anti-siphon is used. In smaller boats, this has an impact, but not so much in large boats because of all the available space.

From USCG:

10. Each fuel line from the fuel tank to the fuel inlet connection on the carburetor must be above the level of the tank top or have an anti-siphon device or an electrically operated fuel stop valve.
I think its safer to have everything above the top of the tank rather than rely on an anti-siphon valve to prevent the tank from siphoning out. Anti-siphon valves tend to clog and not seal.

DaNinja

Lieutenant

On a related note...I wasted a whole bunch of troubleshooting time last year when my Starcraft would die under load. It turned out a simple fuel filter separator swap was all that was needed.

So this year when the motor died while trying to leave the swim cove, I immediately knew what it was. I moved my passengers to the front half of the boat, grabbed a filter wrench, pulled the filter and dumped it out in a container.

With the filter reinstalled, we were back underway in under five minutes. My wife even knows how to replace the filter in case I'm not on the boat. A filter wrench, extra filter, and large mouth clear container is always onboard my boats.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

And you are not forced to use the high priced Racor proprietary filters.

Let me clear up a couple of things.

Only the Racor filter heads are proprietary. Racor makes the same, high quality, filter cartridge to fit both Merc and Evinrude style filter heads.(Moeller is a Merc style head) A lot of people buy the Moeller heads to save a couple of bucks then use Racor filters going forward.

As far as expensive, nowhere is the old adage you get what you pay for more appropriate than fuel filters. Filters vary greatly in their filtration and the amount of water they will hold before allowing water to pass thru the filter.

Trailer boats magazine did an article a few years back that compared most of the popular brands of the day to the Racor. The Racor won the competition hands down. Racor filters look to be a bit more expensive but shop around. I buy my Racor filters for the same price that I-boats is selling the Moeller filter.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Let me clear up a couple of things.

Only the Racor filter heads are proprietary. Racor makes the same, high quality, filter cartridge to fit both Merc and Evinrude style filter heads.(Moeller is a Merc style head) A lot of people buy the Moeller heads to save a couple of bucks then use Racor filters going forward.

As far as expensive, nowhere is the old adage you get what you pay for more appropriate than fuel filters. Filters vary greatly in their filtration and the amount of water they will hold before allowing water to pass thru the filter.

Trailer boats magazine did an article a few years back that compared most of the popular brands of the day to the Racor. The Racor won the competition hands down. Racor filters look to be a bit more expensive but shop around. I buy my Racor filters for the same price that I-boats is selling the Moeller filter.

Racor is a good brand, and I have them one in my first boat. I am just tired of paying high prices for Racor filters when the competition has the same specs. So I switched to Moeller after lots of research.

Latest tests I read show no advantage of Racor over the Moeller brand. Especially when it came to the filter houses being lined so they don't rust, same micron ratings, etc. Cheap filters do rust inside and have other issues. Moeller, Tempo, Scepter and Racor are not among them.

Yes, Racor does make filter cartridge to fit both Merc and Evinrude style filter heads (aka generic heads), but the filters their own heads take is a proprietary filter.

So, buy a Racor filter head, pay Racor filter price (common filter $30 discount vs $21 for similar Moeller). That is 33% more for Racor!!!

Choice is up to the buyer.

I am not saying Racor is bad. Just that Moeller Marine products are very good. In fact, they make a majority of the fuel tanks used in boats today. They specialize in marine fuel systems, so I trust them as much as Racor to make a good product.

BTW, the Tempo and Scepter brand filters in the "clear site" model are the same as the Moeller.

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

Well, I called Moeller to get the part number for the proper (aluminum) bowl for my setup. Then I called about every marine supplier in the area, and nobody had it. Not listed on iBoats, either. I went down to the local WM, and compared my Moeller filter to what they had. Ended up with a Parker/Racor 10mil replacement filter. Wasn't excited about the price, ~$30+, but I needed it. It seems nopne of the local shops here carry the Moeller FWS system or their respective filters/cartridges.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Well, I called Moeller to get the part number for the proper (aluminum) bowl for my setup. Then I called about every marine supplier in the area, and nobody had it. Not listed on iBoats, either. I went down to the local WM, and compared my Moeller filter to what they had. Ended up with a Parker/Racor 10mil replacement filter. Wasn't excited about the price, ~$30+, but I needed it. It seems nopne of the local shops here carry the Moeller FWS system or their respective filters/cartridges.

Wow! At least you have marine suppliers in your area! I have none closer than 1-1/2 hour drive. Everything I buy for the boat is ordered online. If you want to order the moeller stuff, check out discountmarinesupplies.com

gss036

Commander

I think it is worth the extra $$ to use a Racor/Honda/Moeller that you can see and that way, you pretty much know when you need a new filter. I used the Sierra Merc type for years and I changed filters faithfully every year. A lot of wasted $$ when the filter was ok, but at the same time, I would always dump my old filter in a clear container so I could see what was in it. Sometimes there was a lot of rust and junk and that clogs the filter material and those type of filters are mostly 30 micron filters.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Racor is a good brand, and I have them one in my first boat. I am just tired of paying high prices for Racor filters when the competition has the same specs.

What spec are you talking about? Moeller does not publish detailed specifications that I can find. If you found them, I'd be interested in seeing them.

I'd also be interested in seeing this comparsion test you mentioned

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

What spec are you talking about? Moeller does not publish detailed specifications that I can find. If you found them, I'd be interested in seeing them.

I'd also be interested in seeing this comparsion test you mentioned

It's on their website. Basically all "Clear Site" line is 10 micron, GPH varies by inches of vacuum and NPT size up to 120 gph: http://www.moellermarine.com/sites/moellermarine/files/MM179_Clear_Site_Flow_Rate_DYK.pdf

Same info here, but its not well laid out. http://www.moellermarine.com/aftermarket/fuel_systems/fuel_filters/

The comparison is something I found on the web, but I apparently didn't save a link to it.