Spiders in air intake

ChrisAG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The air intake for my 115 Evinrude Intruder is in the front, which seems to be a favorite home for spiders. I try to get them out of there at the start of the weekend but I'm wondering what damage, if any, would result if they were to become ingested. The 115 is DI so any foreign matter would not go in with the fuel, but in the crankcase air then through the ports into the cylinder. Upon compression/ignition, would a bug (or parts, thereof) be blasted into atoms, harmlessly, or could there potentially be an issue?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Spiders in air intake

The potential issue would be if the spiders united and planned a counter attack. It may be like in Gulliver's travels, where he was tied down by hundreds of tiny threads. Other than that there isn't any problem with a couple (or even a bunch) of spiders being sucked in.

Tig

Chief Petty Officer

Sucks to be them. Don't worry about it.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

how about carbed motors???

could the spiders and wasps get stucck in the reed valves??

I realize they would cause much trouble tumbling through the venturii,

but I keep thinking about the small opening that close when the volume isnt enough of the reed valve??

thanks bob

Tig

Chief Petty Officer

I have never found a bug beyond a carb. I'm sure they do get there but are promptly reincarnated as a greenhouse gas. Don't forget, like us, they are mostly water

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I'm sure a large hard shelled bettle could get stuck in a reed valve, but spiders.....