97 9.9 Ignition Issues - Kill Switch?

FM161Pilot

Recruit
1997 Evinrude 9.9hp - 2 cyl/2 stroke - electric start. Trying to debug an intermittent spark issue and trying to check the ignition/kill switch.

I use the cold start procedures posted here (same as in the manual).

I have the SELOC manual and other schematics that came with the engine/boat but they are only somewhat helpful. Engine was unused for 4 years until now. New plugs and fuel pump installed - new tank, battery, fuel and lines. Cranks fine and choke/fuel primer solenoid work as you can hear fuel being squirted when engaged. Pulled plug and tested and only sparks intermittently. Did get it started once and it ran fine and idled fine for 15 mins until I shut it down - but then wouldn't start 30 minutes later. That was a week ago and I haven't been able to get it started since.

I plan to pull the carb and rebuild with kit arriving tomorrow but I know theres fuel in there as I sprayed in fuel mix into the carb and nothing still.

I read its common for power pack to go bad when left idle for long periods but want to make sure the kill switch is not the culprit before replacing.

The OMC manual for the kill switch confuses me as it kills the engine when pulled but I started the engine (the one time it ran recently) without the kill switch in place on the key. And the manual states the engine can be started and run without the kill switch in place - so I cannot figure out how it works both ways (kills engine when pulled from ignition key - not required to run engine)????

Any advice?

AndrewT

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: 97 9.9 Ignition Issues - Kill Switch?

If it starts without the kill switch in place, I'm thinking it's the lanyard then something is wrong, probably a bad switch.

FM161Pilot

Recruit

Thx - thats what I thought also but the OMC manual states "In an emergency situation, the motor can be started without the clip in place. Follow the normal starting procedure. Reinstall a clip as soon as possible"

Thats why I don't understand how it works and trying to figure this out to debug the issue.

AndrewT

bktheking

Vice Admiral

That sound's strange, what would be the point of having a switch if it will run without it? I'm thinking the manual is wrong unless someone else knows for sure. I've seen a test clip which is just a round circlip that goes in place of the lanyard.