bad bad bad news

dominic_olenick

Seaman Apprentice
been working on my boat that i basicaly got for free from a friend it is a 1980 caravelle fish and ski 17.5 feet well i removed every thing and put a new floor and transom in it replaced all interior completly redone this boat because it was in such bad shape have had a few problems with the motor not wanting to run right and i got that lined out had taken it out about 3-4 times ran awsome went to the lake this weekend to go camping and take kids out to tube ran it a couple times and bam the darn motor started knocking so now i will be removing the 470 and doing an overhaul see if i cant get a few more ponys out of the old motor

45Auto

Commander
Re: bad bad bad news

- a new floor

- transom

- replaced all interior

- removing the 470 and doing an overhaul

Have you ever stopped to figure out how much you're going to have in this "free" boat when you get it running?

dominic_olenick

Seaman Apprentice

yea to much but i have already done all the work so why would i not just finish the project besides if i can get another 30 years out of the boat it would be all worth it i cant afford a new boat

doing all the work myself i have around 2000 in the boat now and the overhaul will probly cost around 1000 becouse i will do all that work also

libellav15

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You go for it Dom.

Us boaters get into projects knowing the rewards will be on the water with the kids smiling behind on the ringo's, or cruising back to dock in the sunset having landed a few whoppers on the latest fishing trip :D

very very rare to get money out of a restoration - well known fact.

very few of us would be able to draw even if we had to sell our outfits - whether purchased from new, or lovingly restored - especially if you add on the man hours,

good luck with the motor rebuild - nice knowing you've done it all yourself too.

cheers

Adam

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Howdy,

You might consider pulling the engine and drive (part it all out) and finding another "free boat with a different engine and drive to replace it with.

You may find a nice 4.3L v-6, Inline 6 or a SBC v-8 to replace it with......

Then you'd have a restored boat with an engine and drive that is far better supported in the after-market!

Regards,

Rick

dominic_olenick

Seaman Apprentice

that may be the case to just remove and repower with something else but i think i can overhaul for a cheaper price and have a good motor i know a lot of people dont like the 470 but when we used to take this boat out 5 or 6 years ago it ran very well and pulled very well never had any problems out of it just the floor and the transom on the boat was shot and the previous owner didnt want to tackle the project so me being me i said u are not going to do anything with it i will tackle it me and my kids would love to go play on the water well they got to go a couple times and they loved it so now i deffinently have to fix it if u know what i mean i am thinking about making it a 4bbl i will have to see if i can find the parts to change it over from a 2bbl and maybe try to get more horsepower out of it will have to see i will keep it posted

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Go for it Dominic:D When you get that ol 470 done it should be just fine. Be warned however you may only get 27 or 28 years out of it ;) let us know how it works out, some of us like our 470's:eek:. Good luck