Where is your fire extinguisher?

Cap'n Chaos

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm setting up my fishing boat and was wondering the best place to mount a fire extinguisher?

I'm thinking towards the bow...furthest away from the source of fuel. If there is a fire this will give me a chance to get away from it.

So where do you have yours?

a70eliminator

Captain
Re: Where is your fire extinguisher?

The fire extinquisher on both my boats are within arms reach of the helm and have quick release bands.

Bifflefan

Commander

One under each side of the dash by your feet.

DaNinja

Lieutenant

Searay, right in front of my feet at the helm.
In the Starcraft, one at my feet and the bigger one, away from the potential fire soure, in the head.

Passengers are briefed on the locations.

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Mine (Procraft 200 Combo) is under the helm as well.

Cap'n Chaos

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was thinking about putting 2 on there as well. One in the bow and one in the stern.

My concern is mounting... my boat is aluminum... I'm not thrilled with the idea of drilling holes to mount them.

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I did not circle it but I mounted it.
DellsBoat219.jpg

seaboo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mine are mounted: one on the starboard side captains "foot well" area.
The other is on the doghouse (mine is an inboard).
The engine also has the automatic fire suppression (halon I think) system built in the transom.

DianneB

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 24 foot cabin cruiser. One is in the cabin, one to the left of the helm and one in a side compartment near the stern.

I am not going down without a fight :p however I may sink under the weight of extinguishers :rolleyes:

Summer Fun

Banned

2 in the cabin, 3 in the cockpit area & 3 automatic fire-boys mounted in the engine bay. :)

Plus I take them and shake them up once or twice over the summer !!. :)

DaNinja

Lieutenant

I have a 24 foot cabin cruiser. One is in the cabin, one to the left of the helm and one in a side compartment near the stern.

I am not going down without a fight :p however I may sink under the weight of extinguishers :rolleyes:
There was a nasty boat fire on the lake last weekend. No injuries, but the boat looked like a total loss.
I had to swap fuel/water separators on the fly last weekend with a crew of eleven onboard. I don't mind having a couple of "extra" exstinguishers onboard, especially up front where I had moved everyone so I could do my quick repair on the fuel system.

Hawk Eyes

Seaman Apprentice

I mounted my cans horizontally on the side of my seats. I was told by the Fire Marshal at a fire training event that wave action will tend to help keep the contents from caking in the bottom of the extinguisher when mounted horizontally.

I know there will probably be some opinions about this method. But just thought I would throw it out there it makes sense.

gimmieaclue

Seaman Apprentice

great question!
I'm new to boating and earlier this year bought a boat which unfortunatly caught on fire in my driveway about a month ago. I seen that it had a fire extinguisher and thought nothing of the fact that it was mounted next to the engine untill the engine caught on fire.
Not exactly sure what happened, probably should have been running the blower while warming it up (allthough I did prior to starting it). Anyways, out of nowhere there was an explosion in the engine compartment blowing the cover off (inboard) and engulfing the transom in flames so big I could'nt get to the fire extinguisher. Fortunatly it happened in my driveway (I was the only one in the boat) and I was able to put it out with a hose. Boat turned out to be pretty much a complete loss, at least it wasnt worth fixing. One of the first things I did when I got my new boat was to move the extinguisher closer to the bow.

convergent

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mine is laying in the floor under the dash area so in reach when I'm driving. I am never far from shore so if there is a big fire then we are probably jumping overboard pretty quickly.

Thajeffski

Master Chief Petty Officer

IMGP5677.JPG

bottom right corner...... where it was when i bought the boat :)

reelfishin

Captain

I like to keep two onboard, one near the helm, usually either attached to a kick panel or to the back of a seat base, and a second one near the motor or splashwell. I like the idea of having a spare, and the need arises to use one on another boat, I'm not left with none on board for that day.

I also gave up on those plastic mounts they come with, I made up PVC sleeves that hold mine, that way all I need to do is grab the thing and go if needed.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

I mounted my cans horizontally on the side of my seats. I was told by the Fire Marshal at a fire training event that wave action will tend to help keep the contents from caking in the bottom of the extinguisher when mounted horizontally.

I know there will probably be some opinions about this method. But just thought I would throw it out there it makes sense.

Nothing wrong with that method, except that the usual cheapy plastic mounts are made to support (if you can call it that) the tank vertically and might accidentally release under a 'side load.' Make sure they're really secure.

My .02

mbgaski

Seaman

Mine is mounted horizontally to the floor just ahead of the helm seat. Looks odd, as when driving your knees are going over the fire extinguisher (not touching - it's just under them), but it really doesn't get in the way, and it's immediately accessible.