Fuel conversion question (again)...

SpeedySteve

Seaman Apprentice
I have searched the issues about the conversion, I think I understand the principle involved. But how does one go about determining the parts needed? I have a '58 Fastwin 18HP that I would like to convert. If that is doable. Has anyone done one? If so can you tell me what I am gonna need?

Thanks SS

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fuel conversion question (again)...

Conversion of what to what?

SpeedySteve

Seaman Apprentice

Dual line pressurized tank to a single line with a pump? Thanks.

SS

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

On that motor all you need is the pump and a different fuel line connector on the motor. Your bypass cover should be milled to take the pump. Remove bypass cover and drill out the center boss (bore a hole through it), then install the fuel pump. You'll also have to plug the pulse port on the front of the powerhead, below the carb. Pretty simple conversion.

SpeedySteve

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you thank you. Just about any of the single line male fittings would work won't they for the motor side of the fuel line hook up?
Haven't found a manual on this motor yet, so where is the bypass cover on this one? Do you know a place to pick up a manual on one of these? I found some on ebay but not sure if they cover the manual start too, all seem to be for electrics.
Thank you so much for all this help.

SS

SpeedySteve

Seaman Apprentice

Pulled up the thread on "Awakening a sleeping outboard..." Found a sources for manuals. Gonna try those. Picked up the old boat on Saturday and just getting antsy to get her on the water to see what it'll do. Been without a boat for some years now. And this is exciting stuff again. Love them old boats and motors.
Thanks again to all on here that help and contribute. This has got to be one of the best sites I have ever had contact with. And I have been on many. I do alot of the work on my bikes. '99 Yamaha Road Star silverado and '08 Yamaha Royal Star Tour deluxe.
Anyone wanting to trade? Been looking for a new home for the Road Star. We just don't ride it anymore after picking up the Royal Star. I've trying to find a decent aluminum V hull fishing boat to trade the Road Star for. It's out there I know.

SS

SpeedySteve

Seaman Apprentice

On that motor all you need is the pump and a different fuel line connector on the motor. Your bypass cover should be milled to take the pump. Remove bypass cover and drill out the center boss (bore a hole through it), then install the fuel pump. You'll also have to plug the pulse port on the front of the powerhead, below the carb. Pretty simple conversion.

Seems to be two bypass covers? I am getting it now. The pump is working off the vaccuum of the piston so pick the one that the pump will fit on. Still looking for the pulse plug. Found a manual with exploded views and descriptions. Thanks again.

If you wait long enough you just get it laid in your lap. Found the whole kit on ebay. It's on it's way to me.

SS