PSI on 50hp Force

njmedic3306

Seaman
I have a 1988 Force 50hp and today I checked the psi on both cylinders and they were both between 90-100psi...is that acceptable or should I unload the boat...

pipestone guy

Seaman Apprentice
Re: PSI on 50hp Force

That is low. Have you done a decarb lately? Noticed any water leaking from around the head gasket? Should you unload the boat or not is a personal preference. Do you want to mess with the motor? If you do there are plenty of experts on this board to help. Good Luck!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I disagree. That is fine.

A decarb might improve it, but it ain't broke and doesn't need fixing.

njmedic3306

Seaman

Thanks for your help. I had heard outboards should run higher at 120psi. Does it depend on the size of the motor?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Your readings depend on your guage and the way you take the reading. A cheap guage will read lower.You spend $10 you get $10 results.
Remove both plugs,throttle all the way forward then test.Use a GOOD guage.
The readings should be even or close to the same.
90-100# could be the guage or a bad head gasket.Usually both pistons don't go bad.
Is it running bad,why did you test the compression? J

njmedic3306

Seaman

The boat is a 1988 Bayliner Capri 14'. Its in FANTASTIC shape however I just bought it and it has not been used this season. I took it out and the motor started right up...no hesitation, it sounds like a good running motor. The problem is it just seems slow.....Full throttle is only at 3300rpm....Could it be old gas? I know these boats are heavy and the motor is only a 50 hp.

It came with a different prop so I am going to swap that out and see how it works....

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Do the tests I recomended.Then compare props.They might be the same size.J

njmedic3306

Seaman

I will do what you suggested however now I am thinking bad gas.

Today I hooked up tank number 2 and I could not get the boat to do anything other than idle and that was tough. As soon as I put it into gear it stalled. The other day it was running fine. I know this gas is at least a year old. Could old gas do this? I will look up how to clean these carburetors but do you have any advise?

puddle jumper

Captain

My 50 hp force(89) was about the most finicky motor I have ever owned.

I found 3 thing that made it into a reliable motor.

1- Replace the fuel pump and clean all of the ports/screens behind it. The manual does not go into the cylinder fuel ports in good detail.

2-Fresh fuel. I now only use plastic fuel cans as I believe my 20 year old built in tank is part of my problem.

3-New battery. I use to use my old truck battery and it would start the boat but it just seems to run better with the new. The charge also come up way faster after start up.

just some food for thought.

njmedic3306

Seaman

Well it turns out to be bad gas...... I filled up the other tank and she drove like a raped ape. Nice when its the simple things. Now all I have to do if figure out where and I can deposit 6 gallons of bad gas.