question about using fish finder/GPS differently

xeddog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just purchased a Humminbird 788ci and I don't even have it installed in my boat yet, but I got to wondering . . .

After I get it installed, would it be possible to:

Remove the head unit from my boat, mount it in a car/truck/rv, disable sonar functions, load someones street maps, and use the unit as an automotive or RV GPS???

Wayne

John_S

Rear Admiral
Re: question about using fish finder/GPS differently

Yes, you can mount it in the car, and disable sonar from menus, There are no road maps available though, so just whatever is on the internal or navionics or lakemaster. If they do show the roads, it is more like a "map assist" gps than a car gps. There will not be any route planning, and other car functions. You will see more "going off the side of the road", because car gps s/w assumes you stay on the road.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I used my Garmin marine GPS units in my vehicles for years before I got the 276C with the car navigation package.

They were useful for determining where you were and for elevation and speed readouts. How useful your 'bird would be depends on what sort of maps it has in it.

xeddog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK, so it doesn't sound like there are any street maps so usefulness is limited. But doesn't it sound like a really good idea? Seems to me that the fish finder companies are missing the boat (so to speak :D ). If you were going to a lake that you had never been to before, how great would it be to use the GPS to get you there, then just un-mount it from the car/truck, slip into the mount on the boat, load up a different map chip, and then use it to fish the lake. badabing badaboom. I can see not having the turn-by-turn instructions since that would take a whole lot of programming, but it doesn't seem to me like it would take a whole lot just to display street maps. Having them would sure be helpful sometimes.

I am also having difficulty figuring out why they have not simply added a USB interface for a computer instead of that lame USB-Serial thing. Sheez. Get with the 21st century already. But I guess that is another story.

Well, rant off.

Thanks for the replies.

Wayne

NYBo

Admiral

If you were going to a lake that you had never been to before, how great would it be to use the GPS to get you there, then just un-mount it from the car/truck, slip into the mount on the boat, load up a different map chip, and then use it to fish the lake. badabing badaboom.
That's how my Lowrance XOG works, including turn-by-turn guidance! If only it had an NMEA 0183 interface...

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Xeddog. . .

I was doing exactly what you want to do ten years ago, with Garmin GPS units that traded info with my PC via usb to get maps and software from a DVD.

Garmin was in the 21st century before it started. Save your whines for H'bird.

John_S

Rear Admiral

You will just have to check the HB maps, but for this type of crossover use, probably wasn't the best choice.

I ran an Eagle w/MapCreate
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=230392

The one thing it was better at than my garmin auto gps, was mapping of seasonal roads. We take the suv on some "red neck" rides, and you were able to get a better indication of where the road would come out, and elevation, etc.