newbie boat owner

lwolford

Recruit
hello to everyone on here, my name is larry from ohio, i am new to the boating thing lol i just bought a 1977 reinell 120 hp 17 ft, could i please get some info on this boat, i want to take my family out on it tommorrow, ive had it in the water a couple of times it seemed to do good, are they good safe boats? i know dont forget the plug!! any and all info would be great, thanks in advance, i am very glad to find this forum, i am a biker dont know much about boating but i want to learn. thanks again. larry.:confused:

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander
Re: newbie boat owner

Hi Larry from Ohio, and welcome to iBoats!

Reinells seem to be decent boats. I have no experience with them personally. Is it safe? It's a s safe as the operator, much like a motorcycle. So, in your best interest, your family's best interest, and other boater's best interest, I would recommend some basic boater safety courses for you (and maybe the Mrs.), as it will add to your boating experience in a positive way.

Yes don't forget the plug. Not that I would ever forget the plug, but I've heard it can be problematic. :D Actually, you can ask my buddy who was with me on my boat last weekend if forgetting the plug can be an issue. Dunno why he would know.....;)

Again, welcome, and most of all, ENJOY!

Juggo

Cadet

Yes don't forget the plug. Not that I would ever forget the plug, but I've heard it can be problematic. :D Actually, you can ask my buddy who was with me on my boat last weekend if forgetting the plug can be an issue. Dunno why he would know.....;)

Again, welcome, and most of all, ENJOY!

LoL. I've forgotten the plug before too. My wife was holding the boat while I parked the car and I came back down and there was 9 inches of water in the back of the boat. I was like WTF can't you see the water in the boat? She was paying attention to something else.

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

I was about a mile from the launch when I realized it... ended up in the drink with my finger in the hole while my friend tore apart a nerf football to stick in it until we found the plug.... :redface:

onwaves

Cadet

I once forgot the plug... launched the boat and motored it to the slip. Stood there wundering what "that noise" was...bilge pump. Oh cr_p..where is the plug! Found plug and stood on the transom ladder while bobbing my head and arm under water getting the plug in !

I think everyone does that at least a few times. I also tried to launch the boat with the tie downs still on. Aluminum trailers float nice when attached to boat.

can-amsledder

Petty Officer 2nd Class

LoL. I've forgotten the plug before too. My wife was holding the boat while I parked the car and I came back down and there was 9 inches of water in the back of the boat. I was like WTF can't you see the water in the boat? She was paying attention to something else.

Oh, so it was her fault? lol!

We all do it once! The time I forgot I had two buddies with me, one an experienced boater, the other not so much. We where just pulling away from the ramp and my boating buddy said in a very calm voice, did put the plug in? I said no, did you? Nope, that must be why my feet are getting wet! I pulled away from the dock and hit the gas as a look of terror come over my non boating buddy. What are you doing he says? The boat come up on plane and within a few minutes all the water was gone and we put the plug in from the inside!

And welcome Larry! Stick around, you?ll learn a lot!

GatorMike

Ensign

I've forgot the plug once in 40 years of boating. Discovered my mistake in the Gulfstream 35 miles off Port Canaveral when a bilge acess lid blew open and water spilled out on the deck. Kinda scary till we got her pumped out.