Mr. Annoying Drunk guy doesn't get the hint that I don't want him on my boat anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thajeffski

Master Chief Petty Officer
What do you do when this happens?

Friend of a friend - been hanging out with him on the water for a few years. Loves to camp like I do. He's more part of my friends circle.

Anyway, he's an alcoholic, who was sober for 3 or 4 years when I met him. However this summer he got a new girlfriend who seems to be a big drinker herself.

Luckily the only boat he owns is a Kayak.

Anyway, he pissed me off one weekend during a camping trip, waving an airsoft gun around while drunk (I'm terrified of losing my vision due to someone else's stupidity) and basically just being "that guy" who gets wasted and annoys the **** out of everyone when all they want to do is relax.

That was a month ago.

I decided to give him another chance. I told him to kayak out to an island last Sunday and I'd meet him there with some other friends on my boat. He brought out a pretty good size bottle of vodka (i'd say it was a little smaller then your average bottle of wine).

He was fine for the first 2 hours. After that it was same old drunken *** time.

The main thing that pissed me off was he kept turning my radio up. I warned him 3 times, and the third time I kicked him off the boat...... Like actually pushed him into the water.

I paid 400 bucks for 4 really nice speakers for the boat, I don't need some drunken *** who isn't going to pay for them when they break - turning them up to the point where they are popping.

After his swim he expected me to take him in. I couldn't do it, like it REALLY bothered me that he thought I'd take him in, tow his kayak and let him drive drunk. Instead I made him row back in. The wind and tide was strong so we stayed about 100 feet away, took him about an hour.

ANYWAY fastforward to yesterday:

"Yo dude, my gf and I are going to be in town, wondering if you're going out on the boat"

I told him to rent his gf and kayak and go for a nice outting with her.

Just now

"Hey bro, don't mean 2 annoy u but my gf and i wanted to know if your going on the both tomorrow, want to figure out when we should wake up"

I responded:

"Not making plans, I'm meeting up with a girl in the morning, we might go out, we might not. Like I said go rent a kayak."

jonesg

Admiral
Re: Mr. Annoying Drunk guy doesn't get the hint that I don't want him on my boat anym

Just tell him the truth.
You , like other normal people, don't want to be around active alcoholics.
And you definately DON'T want them on your boat.:)

I'd say he wasn't sober, he was just dry when you met him,
the further he got from his last drink...the closer he got to his next.

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Re: Mr. Annoying Drunk guy doesn't get the hint that I don't want him on my boat anym

No pun intended... but hang this guy out to dry unless he learns to sober up and be dry himself.
Alot of drunks are nice decent people... until they start drinkin, then they are somebody else, and not the same person you made friends with.
Sux to let people go... but it will help the guy in the long run when enough people write him off because of his drinking... Hopefully that will be a trigger and help him realize he needs to slow down, quit, or get help.

a70eliminator

Captain

Dockside chat would be the more appropriate place.

Thajeffski

Are you serious? Who elected you as the board police.

This is a boat topic and a boat question that is not an engine topic. It's 100% appropriate to be here.

As to the other replies, I pretty much have written him off. I'm just trying to be nice and not totally trash him to his face about the drinking. I drink too, but I don't get wasted on a regular basis and annoy everyone around me.

hubbard53

Petty Officer 1st Class

you'd be a better friend if you just told him WHY you didnt want him around...

DaNinja

Lieutenant

Dockside may have been better, but I don't care.
As the captain of my boat, I reserve the right to keep anyone off that impedes safe operation or even detracts from the experience from the other guests.

BoatNoobie

Petty Officer 1st Class

Stop being so passive aggressive and tell him exactly what the problem is.

Thajeffski

you'd be a better friend if you just told him WHY you didnt want him around...

I don't know if I'm on that level with him or not.

hubbard53

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't know if I'm on that level with him or not.

ok, so leave it up to him. Tell him he's welcome as long he's not drinking :)

Thajeffski

ok, so leave it up to him. Tell him he's welcome as long he's not drinking :)

Is that what you'd do? Keep in mind we run in the same friends circle.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Are you serious? Who elected you as the board police.

This is a boat topic and a boat question that is not an engine topic. It's 100% appropriate to be here.

As to the other replies, I pretty much have written him off. I'm just trying to be nice and not totally trash him to his face about the drinking. I drink too, but I don't get wasted on a regular basis and annoy everyone around me.

Sorry to say bud but he is right.... this is not a question about boats..... I can however answer it for you ..... no offense but grow a pair.... Tell him "Yes we will be out but if you show up we will leave. We don't want to be around you because you are a drunk" He will then cuss you a little but your problem will be solved..... He will likely try again but just stand firm...... Why should you have to lie? Why should you have to sneak around to enjoy your own boat..... Stand up and be counted :D

Thajeffski

Sorry to say bud but he is right.... this is not a question about boats.....

Ok healthy debate time.

The title of this fourm is

" General Boating/Outdoors Activities > Boat Topics and Questions (not engine topics)"

Tell me how that doesn't fit here.

This is not a tech section according to the title ! :p

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

sounds like he is inconsiderate of your property and of your friendship.....

I have had a alky friend or 2....... but he sounds extra annoying and thick skulled.....

Mebbe find a new camping / fishing buddy ...THERES A MILLION of em...

my 2 cents...

ps we drink too....no total alkies but fourth of July weekend we had a full blow alky and get this, he's like 65...still smoking the wacky tabacky!! this guys was super annoying and in yer face...all hanging on ya
...then he smoked some of his "stuff"...fell asleep in his beach chair...whew!....thank goodness!

redeye1962

Petty Officer 1st Class

Get rid of the guy.

yea maybe the post should be somewhere else.....not a big deal, but most important change your pic..............clowns scare me. :eek::D

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

well now I just said he was right that dockside would be better..... nothing about tech.... Had he called you an idiot for posting here I would not have agreed but he was pretty nice about it....

Either way I see no reason to play games with the guy.... Just tell him like it is....

most important change your pic..............clowns scare me. :eek::D

LOL!!!

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

Get rid of the guy.

yea maybe the post should be somewhere else.....not a big deal, but most important change your pic..............clowns scare me. :eek::D

AHHaahaha ! ,,,"clowns scare me " ....aahahaha

Tig

Chief Petty Officer

I cross paths with some serious drunks. I feel no responsibility to advise, cater to, or deal with them if I choose. They are big boys, they do what they want to do. They value the bottle more than my advice.
I've had "the talk" with a long time acquaintance and it was a waste of time as far as helping anyone goes. The only benefit was that he now knows I don't want to deal with him, when he is gooned.

In regards to the dockside, not dockside discussion. That is a hijack. ;) Proper forum etiquette would be to start your own thread or contact a moderator.

ftl900

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just as a suggestion- don't wait until the next time he invites himself to tell him why it's always NO.

Call him while the next boat outing is not an issue to talk it over, and that may make it easier for him to accept.

Or not. Good luck!

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

I think some people may be a wee uptight about the proper forum thing. I visit this forum most of the time because I like and respect a lot of the other iboat bros that hang here and what they have to say, not to mention the great advice I read here. This would probably be where I would have posted that same question.
Happy boating all. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.