Literacy and what-not

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander
Ok, rather than the other post get completely hijacked, I figured I'd start a thread.

When I'm reading a post/thread, and have to figure out what a 'bilage' or a 'haul' is, or it's a never-ending sentence, or punctuation marks are randomly used, or the grammar is atrocious, it makes it very difficult to want to read the post. It also makes me question 'how does this person have a job that pays well enough to allow him/her to afford a boat?'

I don't think that those of us who find these types of postings difficult think that we are above or better than anyone, but we can't understand why spell-check is completely ignored. We all have weaknesses. Mine include, but are not limited to; forgetting the plug, not being mechanical where I can do it without step-by-step instructions (pictures help), remembering 'i before e except after c', and so on. I am aware of those, and address them accordingly, by using a book/manual/online resources when making repairs on ANYTHING, and by using spell-check.

Sorry, just rambling.

illiterate_answer_2_xlarge.jpg

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Re: Literacy and what-not

I hear you. I just try and remember that we were all blessed with different aptitudes and talents. Some have the ability to craft well articulated and memorable posts while others can laugh at those of us who ask for help with the simplest DIY tasks. However, it does appear the critical skill of even rudimentarily effective communication is becoming increasingly scarce. I find it disconcerting.

solar7647

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yes some times it can be hard to understand some post, but no one is trying to sudmit an English mid-term paper hear.:D

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I agree it is sad the lack of grammar and proper vocabualry these days. But it concerns me more in every day speech.

Some "typos" have to be attributed to being in a hurry. Others, maybe cannot type well at all. And yet, others maybe actually think that is what it is called. We all must remember, there are new people here every day and do not know what the proper terminology is. Other, more blatant and noticable errors are, well, just there. Some can even be attributed to texting. My daughter writes just enough to get her point accross. It irritates the HE!! out of me.

Some people write the way they talk, examples are then/than or have/haft.
The same could be said for "bilage". Say that with some accent a couple of times.

We need to be somewhat open and acceptable to what or how people type/write/talk. With a little more of an open mind, who knows...it might start to make some sense.

I am not defending illiteracy, I am simply saying that just because one does not type well, does not mean they are illiterate.

I for one will not cast a stone in either direction. Because I have read some of my own posts and found "errors".

PFS

Cadet

For some reason "trailer" spelled "trailor" is the one that bugs me the most. I see it a lot on Craigslist ads. (Oh "ads" spelled "Adds" is another one.) Anyway, I try not to dissuade me from a good deal, or from answering a post here.

As for a person being able to afford a boat even though they can't spell; there are folks out there that just plain work hard and are smart with their money. :) No matter what, everyone is doing the best they can. Be cool:cool:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

prollylikehadnoonetosmack,themupsitetheheadwhenthey,dinetspelitriteinscrule

What does "prolly" mean?
I have seen it quite a bit here on the forum.

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

prolly cooda uzedatn erlyr/ dunno:D

As long as we're at it, I ponder you this;

Breakfast

Breafkist
or
Breakfrist?

I give you these to mull over and let me know which way my dad says, and spells it.

Hint: the first one is obviously not it.:rolleyes:

bassman284

Commander

I generally try not to get too worked up about these things, but when I see someone use "loose" instead of "lose", it just makes my teeth hurt.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The posts that drive me nuts are in the trailer section when someone has a question about their bad "breaks".

shvy

Seaman Apprentice

ck this out:

Only great minds can read this
This is weird, but interesting!

If you can raed this, you have a sgtrane mnid too

Can you raed this? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can.

I cdnuolt blveiee that I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd what I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in what oerdr the ltteres in a word are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is that the frsit and last ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can still raed it whotuit a pboerlm. This is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the word as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

Barracuda Bill

Seaman Apprentice

I find it very disappointing to see grammar and spelling errors. I understand that it happens, but multiple times in the same sentence?! They are everywhere, and probably not going away. Craigslist has got to be one of the best places to see these. I think texting has been a very large influence for poor rhetoric.

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

ck this out:

Only great minds can read this
This is weird, but interesting!

If you can raed this, you have a sgtrane mnid too

I must have a strange mind- I had no problem reading that at all . Pretty neat misspellings !

Then again, when I was learning to write , I would spell thing phonically , simple stuff like : of ( ove) the (thu) through ( threw) .

On a side note, my keyboard does not quite work right all the time- like right now the apostrophe/ quote key does not work, so I type out the things that need one such as thats ( that is ) .

ILLITERATE- Write for help
Now that is funny , ironic, and sad.

tswiczko

Master Chief Petty Officer

I have to remind myself to check and recheck things. I have a learning disability from a head trauma I recieved as a toddler. After years of special education in gradeschool and juniorhigh my parents decided trade school would be in my best interest as opposed to the private school my brothers and sisters attended.(why waste the money on an education if I wasn't able to learn it)
My english class was combined with my history. We would stand up and read a paragraph from our history book and sit down, then the next student would do the same. This went on till the end of class. They were not concerned how well we could comprehend the english language only that we could read.
I am in my mid fourties now and I have had to return to school because an accident put 10 screws 2 rods and a plate in my spine. It is very difficult for me as my disability has to do with my ability to read and write. By no means am I ignorant but I am lacking in the grammar department.
When I read a post that is atrocious it doesn't make me angry, nor do I laugh at it. I only wonder if the poster is too lazy to care or if there is an actual lack of education.
By the way, I had to go through extensive testing before I could go back to school to see if I was capable of completing college and found out where my learning disability is rooted. I have trouble with written expression and have a processing speed in the tenth percentile. Even with these problems I scored 142 on a standard IQ test.
If I continue with my studies at my current pace I will graduate a year early with a bachelors.
I'm sorry if I offend someone when I ramble incoherently or make simple grammar mistakes that do not make sense to someone else. I only ask that you try to understand why mistakes were made.
I also noticed I can indent for a paragraph and when the post is submitted it does not make the indentation.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

The posts that drive me nuts are in the trailer section when someone has a question about their bad "breaks".

C'mon Bruce, we've all had a bad break at some point in our lives. ;)

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I'm sorry if I offend someone when I ramble incoherently or make simple grammar mistakes that do not make sense to someone else. I only ask that you try to understand why mistakes were made.

I don't recall seeing any of your other posts, but based on this one I'd say you're an inspiration and an example of what can be accomplished with hard work.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There is never a second chance to make a first impression.

Bad word selection, spelling, grammar or punctuation will make a poor impression and often distort the message sufficiently to make it ineffective.

I am annoyed a bit by that sort of thing. A lot less if it seems that the poster is making a sincere effort to communicate.

I am annoyed more if it seems that the poster doesn't care or is too lazy to clean up his post before he hits the "post" icon.

I am annoyed a lot by literate giant wannabes who persist in disrespecting or ridiculing the posters effort.

I am annoyed most by the mockers who think it is somehow funny to imitate bad posting skills.

45Auto

Commander

One of the best natural mechanics I have ever worked with is a 60 year old farmer that never attended a day of school in his life. His reading and writing skills are very limited but I guarantee you he could teach every mechanic I have seen on these forums a good deal. (He certainly has me.) I could say the same of a Hispanic gentleman with very poor English skills I know that is an absolute guru when working with fiber glass, composites, gel-coat, and marine painting. And then there is the machinist/welder not far down the road from me that took over his fathers? shop and has been working metal since he could walk, he has forgotten more than I will ever know. To be blunt, only a fool would not listen to what they offer, regardless of how well or poorly it was written or it?s spelling. Sorry, just calling them as I see them.

Doesn't sound like any of those guys will do us much good here. I've seen very few posts in Spanish, and I doubt if the vast majority of us live close enough to your farmer or machinist for them to demonstrate anything to us. The point in writing is to transmit information. On these forums, not being able to effectively communicate information in writing is the same as not knowing the information. In either case, the person seeking the information does not receive it.

Not saying your guys aren't the greatest and smartest in the world, they may be. But without effective communication the dissemination of their knowledge is limited to the people they are in direct contact with. Same applies to any other posters on the internet. If you can't effectively communicate your knowledge in writing it doesn't do anyone else any good.

Sorry, just calling it as I see it.

sasto

Captain

Bad grammer?...... After surviving brain cancer (and lymphoma) thru loads of chemo this is the least thing I worry about. Let's go fishin'.:D