Best hull type in chop

roscozen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
what type of hull does best when fishing in chop?

in 6 years i've had 4 boats of various hull types, 16, 18 footers.

i fish the waters off socal, rarely go farther out than catalina island.
problem is when fishing deep water, we get rocked around pretty good sometimes and often ruins the trip or cuts it short. .

right now i have a '59 glasspar seafair sedan. i have learned that i really don't want or need a cabin anymore, it takes up all the deck space. so i'm looking for a change.

anyone been thru this and found a reasonable solution?

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: Best hull type in chop

there are a few aspects of "boating in chop" to consider. One is how the hull handles it--does it go over it (tri-hull, cathedral hull, flat hull--think Boston Whaler or Carolina Skiff) or cut through it (deep V)? To cut through it you need a larger heavier boat; a small and/or light V will dig into it, which is just as rough as flat hulls going over it.
another aspect is how it sheds the spray. A wide flare or spoon on th ebow sends the water way off to the side; a slight flare and it goes up and blows back on you. Some flat bows push it out front, to blow back on you. You also need to look at your gunwales and chines, for how it deflects spray off the side.

You want high freeboard, so avoid "bay" or "flats" boats (and of course bass boats) except the rolled gunwale on a Carolina Skiff sheds water very well.

The real answer to your question is "a big one."

wellsc1

Petty Officer 1st Class

HomeCookin gave a great assessment of hull types.

Flatbottom will beat you up. Even a little ripple will rattle the tackle around the deck - usually ending up as far aft as space is available.

Vee bottom is best for chop, but once anchored you can expect some rocking around. In rough ses, allow as much scope on the rode as possible to smooth out the bow. Do know there are too many good fishing days to go out on a bad weather/sea day. Also, the worst day fishing beats the best day a work.

tight lines and fair seas...wellc1

sasto

Captain

A modified V with a "hard chine" would be my choice for taking beam seas while fishing.

diesel5599

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've always heard cats are the best at everything, but very pricey and typically start in the 25' range. Other than that I'd go with the deepest longest heaviest V that is within your budget.

sasto

Captain

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is "hard chine" ?

The chine is the area where the hullside meets the bottom. A "hard chine" would be a horizontal area of a couple of inches before the bottom starts the V. This chine will reduce the rocking moton while moving slowly or at anchor. Everything has a drawback. A "hard chine" can make entry into a wake or wave a little more teeth chattering. But couple the chine to a V of 21 degrees or more makes for a fairly good ride.

ovrrdrive

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you're talking about riding in the chop a vhull with steep deadrise will handle it best but then when you stop and drift or anchor that type of hull will exaggerate the rocking from the waves. Everything is a compromise. A flatter hull will be more comfortable in the drift but beat you up on the ride there. As mentioned a cat would seem to be the best of both worlds but seeing as how I've never been on one I can't comment much...

a70eliminator

Captain

My 16' MFG has a "V" shaped bow that progresses to being almost flat across at the transom, it has strakes and soft chines, I don't know what to call it but it does well in chop and is very stable adrift, I use it mostly for fishing.

roscozen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

As mentioned a cat would seem to be the best of both worlds but seeing as how I've never been on one I can't comment much...[/QUOTE]

So...at the risk of showing my ignorance, what is a cat?

my present boat is a modified V hull. in the drift w/moderate chop it turns sideways to the swell and produces such a rough rocking it's hard to even bait a hook unless you time it right.. i considered a sea anchor, one of those parachute type deals, but i'd have to deploy it right where my fishing lines would go. i guess ideally i'd have the bow facing directly into the swell. at anchor in rough water it's not too bad.

thank you all for your replies.

ovrrdrive

Petty Officer 1st Class

Catamaran... They make them from 18' up to the size of your wallet.

roscozen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Catamaran... They make them from 18' up to the size of your wallet.

i just spent a few hours researching cat hull power boats. very interesting. looks like they all are larger than my wallet.

for now...

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Just hafta chime in that Catalina Island is quite a haul (22 miles) for an old 18 ftr!

I used to fish it regularly on my buds 24 ft Farralon and would never had made the trip on my old 17 ftr

roscozen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just hafta chime in that Catalina Island is quite a haul (22 miles) for an old 18 ftr!

I used to fish it regularly on my buds 24 ft Farralon and would never had made the trip on my old 17 ftr

you just have to pick your days. august, sept., good chance of fair water in the am. usually plan on spending the night in a quiet cove w/shark lines out. back at daybreak before the chop develops
i got lucky last time out. fell into the wake behind the catalina express about a quarter mile behind, far enough to not eat her exhaust.
glass all the way. took less than an hour.