1985 Evinrude XP150 Warning Buzzer

Paladin51

Cadet
Good Day everyone..........

Randomly, when turning the key on, the buzzer in the control head will sound steadily. Start the engine, steady stream from water pump discharge hole. After 5-10 minutes the alarm clears. I believe the sensor is located in the upper outboard port cylinder head? Separating the wire at the junction does not clear the alarm.

Thoughts? Does disconnecting the sensor cause an alarm or create an alarm? Since most sensors create a path to ground, I would think that unless there is some sort of wire-break protection, opening the circuit should clear the alarm.

BTW, intermittent alarm is oil, steady alarm is temp related.......right?

Thanks, Paldin51

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1985 Evinrude XP150 Warning Buzzer

Sounds to me like you may have a bad horn or else a grounded wire in the tan wire circuit from the horn back . The horn should not stay on as long as you say. You also have an over heat sensor on the strb side cyl head . Did you also disconnect that ? You are correct. Over heat,steady alarm, no oil alarm every 20 seconds. Disconnecting the sensors on the cyl heads should shut the alarm off if one of them is the prob. BTW looking at your forum name, "do you have gun.will travel ?" LOL. No offense.Just brought back memories.