transducer woes

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Re: transducer woes

Slow down. :D
our unit will stop as well, I think it is because it does not get the "ping back" from the bottom due to the speed.

Andy'sDelight

Petty Officer 1st Class

You may need to lower or relocate it. Is it in the line of any strakes? Is it potentially getting prop wash? Chances are it's receiving interference from something under the boat causing "bubbling". Bottom paint that is starting to peel can also be a culprit. Look under the boat in a line from the front all the way to the transducer. If you see anything that could cause disturbance in the water, that's your likely offender. A working transducer located properly should have no issue receiving the ping back at any speed.

Ned L

Commander

Yep, most likely bubbles on the face of the transducer.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The transducer cannot be mounted close to the engine, a speedo pitot or any strakes on the bottom of the boat. Any of these protrusions cause aeration of the water (turbulence) which messes with the transducer. It may also be that the transducer pivots up slightly due to the water pressure at speed but falls back at slower speeds.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Try mounting it deeper if possible. I've got one of those 'skimmer' transducers that eagle/cuda uses for all their standard units. I had issues above 50 mph with, it only took about 1/4 of a inch lower and it works great at all speeds.

flycaster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Check to see if you have accidentally bumped the transducer and caused it to "kick" up and it is not horizontal.
With the transducer kicked up, it is looking behind the boat and not seeing the bottom. When you slow down or stop the transducer will settle down a bit and will start showing the bottom and act normal.

Let us know what trick corrected your problem.:):)

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer

What kind of boat? If fiberglass, you can remove it from the transom bracket and epoxy it in the bilge area provided your hull is solid and has no voids. Even "skimmer" types will work this way. Better yet, get a shoot-thru model and mount in per instructions. I put mine in the bilge a few years back and eliminated all the issues with transom mount units.
If you have an aluminum boat, look for an "alumiducer" as these are designed to shoot thru aluminum. They work well and run about $75.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Not to hijack this thread but ours stops at about 30-35 mph and 400-500 feet of water???

Andy'sDelight

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not to hijack this thread but ours stops at about 30-35 mph and 400-500 feet of water???

You're likely going beyond your depth max. I believe mine is rated at 600 feet (Garmin 400c), but I could be wrong. If it is 600 feet I'm pretty sure that's while drifting or anchored, not at speed. I imagine if 600 ft is the rating while stopped, 400-500 would probably be the max at 30-35mph before you would be outrunning the return ping.