fuel delivery issue

sgajan

Seaman
Its a 1988 four winns freedom 160 with 3.0 omc engine.
Its not getting fuel to the carb. This I know because it has a glass fuel filter on it and i see it getting half arsed fuel through it. Hardly any.
Startin off. No the filter in the carb nor the inline filter are not plugged.
I took the fuel hose off between the fuel pump and the gas tank.
MECHANICAL FUEL PUMP BTW.

HERES THE QUESTION..........
Its kinda hard to siphon from the fuel tank line leading to fuel pump. But i did get a nice mouth full of gas YUMM. Is this normal?
Also. Does this boat have a check valve in the tank for the line that goes to the fuel pump? Because i cannot blow into it.
When i siphon though i hear BIT OF A GURGLING SOUND. like a faint baby rattle. There is 3/4 tank of fuel in boat.
All other fuel hoses are clear.
Thanks

zbnutcase

Commander
Re: fuel delivery issue

Yes there is a check valve, the anti-syphon valve, located in the hose barb at the tank.

sgajan

Seaman

Thanks I took off the valve. It seems to be ok. moves freely. but still no fuel to the line so im guessing it needs a new fuel pump.
Anyone know the pump number that they used on this model engine?

sgajan

Seaman

I hope I am looking at this correctly. The inline clear fuel filter seems to have less then 1/4" of gas in it when running and the fuel splashes all around inside it amost like theres not enough in it. I really wish i watched it before this all happened. Anyone have insight on these filters? Should they be full or at least half full when running? And a steady stream of fuel. not splashing into it.

searay3

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Try running thru an outboard tank with a hose connected to the suction side of the pump. This will narrow down if you have a pinhole in the fuel line or junk in the tank stopping up the pickup tube.

sgajan

Seaman

Thanks searay. I forgot to mention that the fuel line is clear and tank isnt the issue. I put the fuel line in a seperate tank of gas and still the same issues. same amount of fuel delivery on both tanks.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Do you have a clear plastic tube leading from your pump to the carb if so does it have any fuel in it? If so you have a ruptured diaphram in your fuel pump. I would suggest the next line of action would be is to perform a fuel pressure test before replacing the pump.

sgajan

Seaman

There is a clear filter in the tube to the carb.
It has some fuel in it but not a great amount. And it splashes into the filter not like a steady flow inside the filter. Filter not plugged and no lines plugged. The line does have a fuel pressure guage on it but im not sure if it is any good really.. it does show pressure is around 7 or so. But i cant see how enough fuel is gettin to the carb with the way the fuel filter looks with the lack of fuel. Im bringing the boat home tomarrow it is docked right now. This just happened out of no where btw. It was running good and all in the sudden when i went to go to pull out of the water it started popping and backfiring. so i babied it home at idle.
Thanks

Blk-n-Blu

Master Chief Petty Officer

Any fuel in the clear line between the pump and the carb indicates a rupture in the diaphram of the fuel pump.

sgajan

Seaman

oh ok. No fuel in the clear line. I misunderstood the line they were speaking of.

Blk-n-Blu

Master Chief Petty Officer

Are you sure the glass filter is not a sight glass to indicate a bad diaphram in the fuel pump?

Try disconnecting the fuel line between the pump and carb and run it into a container while turning the engine over. See if any fuel comes out. IF the inlet is not blocked and removing the outlet side into a bucket doesn't show fuel the problem must be the pump.

BTW the clear fuel filter inline is not for inboards only outboards. They are nice though. Is this the filter you have?

Attachments

• clear fuel filter.jpg
    clear fuel filter.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 0

sgajan

Seaman

PROBLEM SOLVED

Well today I went to try and baby it home to get it on a trailer. I couldnt resist and had to look one more time at everything.
I jiggled some wires around and ill be darned if a little wire didnt pop out from under the coil. It was an extra wire that splits off of the Shift interupter switch. It was grounding to the coil and causing it to backfire and pop. Well i eliminated the wire and ill be darned if my baby doesnt jump out of the water like it were new :) Hope this helps someone else and thanks for all the help.

sethjon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

They don't completey fill up. Sounds like what your explaining is normal.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

Get rid of the clear filter at the engine...they are ILLEGAL, and will get you a hefty ticket!

Glad that you are running again...!

Happy boating!