ford transom assembly outdrive not fitting

bockslanding

Cadet
here is what im working with. ford engine #3838221.
the transom unit was rotted so I got another one on ebay unaware of all the differences.
transom #6700019 I got everything save the outdrive.
upon trying to install the new unit the bolts didn't match up to the holes in the transom so I removed the inner transom plate and compared the holes. after measuring only the two long bolt/studs on the new part were in a different location so I drilled the inner plate and he transom and all fit nicely right in the original location. its not the shifter or anything I an see.
plopped the engine back in.
on to the outdrive. the original. and it doesn't want to completely mate up. it stops about 1.5in from tight. it

is it possible this transom unit is shorter than the original? making my shaft too long.

I have a different upperunit that has a shorter shaft but it doesn't seem to fit the gimbal bearing??

so are there any thoughts before I just whack the end off that shaft.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: ford transom assembly outdrive not fitting

what kind of ford engine
what type of drive
what year are the parts?

bockslanding

Cadet

74 ford 302 original outdrive with no numbers on it
the new transom stuff is unknown to me hoping someone would know by the numbers

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

#6700019 guessing it`s a later model alpha type outer transom and you removed a early MC1 . redrilling the holes shouold be fine. Being that you moved the engine(replacement) it sounds like engine alignment is off. you raise or lower the front mounts untill the alignment bar seats fully.Some say you can use a spare input shaft but the bar is the way to do it.

bockslanding

Cadet

the alignment tool I borowed is slightly larger diameter than the shaft so its of little use. we tried using another input shaft but it seems to be bigger than the gimbal bearing. so we just slowly raised the engine until it poped in.

zbnutcase

Commander

the alignment tool i borowed is slightly larger diameter than the shaft so its of little use. We tried using another input shaft but it seems to be bigger than the gimbal bearing. So we just slowly raised the engine until it poped in.

huh????????????

bockslanding

Cadet

figure I better finish this for future searchers.
the outdrive alignment was just way off. everything fit like it should after proper alignment. thanks for the help folks.