Mercruiser 4.3 Exhaust flapper question ** udated with pics**

Revoked2011

Cadet
I hope someone on here can guide me in the right direction. I have a 97 Caravelle with a 4.3 Mercruiser, it had these sweet 1 piece manifolds on it that went bad this summer. I bought the conversion kit and converted it to the regular 2 piece manifolds, while I had the manifolds off I noticed that the exhaust flappers where swollen and not functioning as they should. I removed the old flappers and thought they may not be needed. I was wrong, water has been flowing in the engine and making my life hell. I went to a local boat shop and told them what I needed, they ordered the flappers for me. 2 weeks later they arrive, I take them home, pull the manifolds off only to discover these flappers are too small... I called around and was told there is only 2 sizes of flappers, 3" or 4" Well measuring the cross bar section of the old flapper it is just shy of 3.5" I cannot find any 3.5" flappers. Did they also use an oddball flapper along with these 1 piece manifolds?
Thanks in advance for your help

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Re: Mercruiser 4.3 Exhaust flapper question

Can you post your engines serial number?

Is the engine and entire setup original to the best of your knowledge?

Bondo

Staff member

I called around and was told there is only 2 sizes of flappers,

Ayuh,.... I don't think that's quite True,....
I had 3 choices at a local stocking Marina this afternoon...
It's not only Sizes, there's different Shapes...

Like Jason says, the Serial # get's ya the Right parts,.......... Usually........

Revoked2011

Cadet

Engine serial number is k028218
They are oblong shaped

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Here ya go....

Revoked2011

Cadet

I need either the first or the last one on that link. Excuse my ignorance but I couldnt see any dimensions? How do I know which one I need?
Thanks
Aaron

JustJason

Vice Admiral

I don't know what your conversion kit consists of. But the 1 piece vs 2 piece exhaust systems used different Y Pipes.

Either way, if you have the factory Y pipe for that serial number an it hasn't changed you need Merc Part ## 807166A2.

As far as the aftermarket junk, skip it, with any kind of rubber product, you want OEM parts all the way.

Revoked2011

Cadet

Well I ordered the flappers on the page provided, they showed up and are too small. I really hope someone can help me find the ones I need, I am going crazy without my boat.

Here are some pics of the new flappers and a pic of the old flapper cross bar, it is almost a half inch longer.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll19/AaronD_08/2010_0718connor20003.jpg

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll19/AaronD_08/2010_0718connor20002.jpg

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll19/AaronD_08/2010_0718connor20001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Did you order the part number I gave you or something else?

bummy80

Cadet
Re: Mercruiser 4.3 Exhaust flapper question ** udated with pics**

i just have a question for you, did the shutter you ordered come with the grommets in the picture?

Revoked2011

Cadet

I ordered the ones suggested in a previous post. I will now order the ones with the part number you gave me, however they look identical to the ones the local shop got for me. I just wish I could get a psychical measurement of these before I order them.

No. The new shutters did not come with the grommets pictured. Those are the old ones. I may just try to fab something up.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Any suggestions?

Get the proper OEM parts, not aftermarket, and it will fit. You also need to go by serial number of your engine, not year of your boat and size of engine.
SN is how all parts from Mercruise are located.

PS. Please keep your pics close to 640 px width.

nofuss

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi

I have recently done the conversion from one piece to 2 piece manifolds on the 4.3 V6 i noticed one piece missing on one of the shutters and as such ordered the replacement. my search and the people at Doug Russel's suggestion was to go with the quick silver part number that JustJason suggested above. 807166a 2 I have mine right next to me now. the engines that came with the two piece originally, use a different shutter and i believe its the same as the V8 so it would be more popular. I am going down to the boat tomorrow, and although I did not plan to install them tomorrow, I would just to ensure that they fit, they look just like what is in and carry the same type of mounting hardware. I will fit them and let you know how they work. My risers are off so it would be easy to add that task, and it would put me one step ahead.
would let you know how that goes, well unless we get a day of thunderstorms like today :-O but it sure looks just like whats in there. However I will not be able to post a reply untill about 7pm eastern as i would mostlikely be out whole day.

No Fuss :)

I forgot to mention that unlike the ones that you bought mine are 3-7/16 across the pin and about 6-1/4 perpendicular to the axis. and they come with the square mounts shown in your picture. pin u have looks about that length too :)

I suggest u check out this site. www.mercruiserparts.com when you need parts, here you can get pics of the right parts and the right part number. even if you buy the parts somewhere else due to cost, or closer location, as i had to do. You get the right part. You need to check with your serial number and u would get the parts list with diagrams.

A search by your serial number on the site shows your engine as a
262 MAG (TBI) (GEN+)
fitting into the group of serial numbers OF803800 to OK999999.
And the part suggested is a JustJason suggested :rolleyes: and the same as for my engine 807166A 2
guess thats y the shaft is the same length as mine :D

buy the right part and enjoy your boat :D

nofuss

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the rain only stopped this evening so i was not able to install the flapper on my engine, but all things show this to be the right one for yours. hopefully tomorrow would be a dryer day :D

Revoked2011

Cadet

No Fuss, thank you! I made the order Sunday so hopefully I will be back on the lake this weekend.

nofuss

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great for u man. Im only seeing one possibly dry day thursday, so hopefully i could install my heads etc then and be back out this weekend too :D

enjoy it man

No Fuss :)

brushpilot

Recruit

can you explane what the flappers are for. I have been told they are not nessary,

Banditz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Keeps water from coming back up into your engine. When you are planed out then stop, the "wave" of water catching up with you will boil back up into the back of the motor via the mani. Or if your parked and waves roll up onto the stern, that will also allow water in there. The flappers just close that area off. but still allow exhaust out.

ve4jnf

Recruit

i have the same problem best idea that finaly did was install a riser kit. works great no more problems cost 200.;00 but well worth it.