Replacing tilt hoses

PNW Driver

Seaman
After a 30 min drive to the lake today I arrive at the ramp and roll down the window of my truck to hear thump, scrape, thump, scrape after every little bump in the road. At first I think it's my license plate but quickly realize it's not. I get out to check and find my outdrive all the way down and about an inch above the ground. I blew a hydraulic line. I was able to remove the rams and tie it up and trailer it back home. I stopped by my Merc dealer and ordered the hoses. He said they can be changed without removing the drive but it's a tight fit. Anybody have any advice or tips?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Replacing tilt hoses

Start spraying with PB Blaster or WD-40 then use GOOD!!!! line wrenches.J

PNW Driver

Seaman

Well, only one was busted but I bought all four. The first three were pretty easy but the last one just didn't want to cooperate. My friend, who has been working on this from day one, cross threaded it and stripped the hole. Great! Today we pulled the drive, bell housing and bellows. We were able to get a home made tap in there and chase the threads. So, after about 12 hours of work, I have all new hoses and bellows and still need to flush the hydraulic system and remount the drive. This almost turned out to be the final straw for my old boat.

cr2k

Captain

Removing the drive? Bellows? They just attach the manifold on the bottom of the gimbal housing.

Wait until you need to change the inside lines...

PNW Driver

Seaman

I have the old pre alpha drive. The lines attach to blocks on the port side of the transom plate and the only way to tap that one way was to pull everything.