Do I need to replace the entire coupler

Dick Sorensen

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Shorelander Trailer is 26 years old. The Titan Model 60 coupler would not release off of the ball last night. No matter what I tried I could not get the part that rides under/around the ball to give way....finally, I lined the trailer up with the tow vehicle...pulled the pin and drove the truck away...then was able to pull, push, shake, rattle and beat on it and it finally got free....Prior to this 'battle of wills' the only problem that I had encountered with this coupler (besides having no fluid) was the screw down knob reached a early point where it seemed locked down (it wasn't....learned after dropping the boat three times)...I then take out a rigid pipe wrench, turn it past that point and it continues to screw down until it reaches it final locking point....The Titan replacement coupler is advertised for $139 (remember no fluid...lots of debris in cylinder)....what do you advise?

mikecjn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Do I need to replace the entire coupler

I probably would if it was mine. Especially since you have already had an issue with it requirering you to have to take a pipe wrench to it. If you had to beat it that bad to release it, it most likely is only going to get worse.
You may be able to pull it apart and clean everything and readjust it but may just be better to replace.

tractoman

Petty Officer 1st Class

You may compare the parts that you need to fix it versus the whole new unit and find it's close in price. The nice thing about them is that you can get parts if you need them though. I rebuilt my leve lock model 60 for about $70.

reelfishin

Captain

If it's in that bad of shape that you had all that trouble, plus it leaks fluid, I'd say its time for a whole new unit.

GoneBoatN

Cadet

I replace mine as a whole unit this past winter. Like yours it was old and in bad shape. The only thing that was ok was the case and at that the fluid resevour was very rusty. By the time I paid for all the rebuild parts I would have been over the price of a whole unit or close to it.

BTW, I found the same thing with the brakes. By the time I paid for pads and new wheel cylinders it was cheaper and easier to mail order a whole new galvinized assembly.

You most likely already know it but there is good information at http://www.championtrailers.com/techsup.html#technical_support in bleeding and adjusting your brakes as you will need to do this after replacing your coupler.

PGFISHER

Petty Officer 1st Class

Unlike humans, mechanical parts don't heal. I wish I could replace some of my parts as cheaply and easily as boat/trailer parts.