Can you run a boat with out a circulator water pump? I did.

IcantDo55

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well we were out on the water about 20 miles out last night and I'm on the way in and I notice all of a sudden the volt meter drops from its happy 13.5 to 11.0. Temp gauge stayed steady so I figured it was the alternator and not the 3 day old new dayco belt I put on. I think bummer and shut down the lights and head in. I makes it in on battery power and it being 4am I put it on trailer parked it in driveway and went to bed.

Today I flushed motor on muffs and removed all the fishing equipment from the boat and than opened the engine hatch and to my amazement the alternator / water pump belt is laying there torn in half. Obliviously from the alternator seizing and burning through the belt.

How did I drive the boat 45+ minutes at 30+mph and not over heat? Could the outdrive water pump (1 year old)be moving enough water to keep the motor cool at speed? Whats going on here?

Confused?

1995 3.0LX raw water cooled

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Can you run a boat with out a circulator water pump? I did.

You can get away with it on a 4 cylinder as long as the raw water pump impeller is in very good shape. It will pump enough water to cool the engine. But, if the impeller starts showing it's age and becomes weaker output the engine will suffer first due to lack of water flow. The exhaust will stay cool.

45Auto

Commander

I'm not surprised the outdrive pump could keep it cool as Don says. My 2.5L split the hose that goes from the outdrive to the engine one day. The whole back half of the boat was filled with water, it looked like Ole' Faithful shooting up when I opened the engine cover (it was a fresh impellor, about a week old). Wrapped a whole roll of duct tape around the split and still had to idle back to the dock with water squirting around the wraps of duct tape. Anything over idle blew the tape off the hose.

I keep a brand new spare belt in the tool box just incase something like that happens.

Don S

Don't even think about it with any engine with a closed cooling system (includes a 470) without the belt, the coolant will not circulate in the engine without the belt and it will overheat.

45Auto

Commander

I keep a brand new spare belt in the tool box just incase something like that happens.

Original poster knew something was wrong but never looked at the motor till the next day. All the extra belts in the world won't do you any good if you don't take a look when it's telling you something is wrong.

bigskiohio

Master Chief Petty Officer

some keep a xtra on motor but i not sure about doing that but i considering as th front mount is in the way and would behard to replace on water

45Auto

Commander

th front mount is in the way and would behard to replace on water

Takes one wrench (9/16 I think, it's been a while) to remove the notch in the front motor mount that lets you change the belt. I believe it's the same size that loosens the alternator. Why is that so hard to carry on the water?

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

you can also loop a spare belt on there (behind the mount) while changing this one..
Pull it up and pull it on on the water

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

My 1964 Volvo AQ180 has no circ pump on the engine. never had one. Everything is done by the impeller. A new one goes in every spring!

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

We have 2 1/2 seasons now on our 385 stroker running a crossover in lieu of a circ pump.
Alpha 1 Gen II drive, using the water pump in lower unit only.

jtmarten

Master Chief Petty Officer

My jet was the same way, crossovers, no circ pump. Haven't heard running w/o a circ pump on an I/O though.

Don S

385 stroker running a crossover in lieu of a circ pump.

You installed a bypass, Which means, the circulation pump is also no longer blocking the flow of water from the raw water pump. Not the same as just loosing a belt.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

You installed a bypass, Which means, the circulation pump is also no longer blocking the flow of water from the raw water pump. Not the same as just loosing a belt.

good point, a marine circulating pump impeller is a pretty substantial chunk that would be blocking the area...
not like the tin pinwheel automotive uses...