info on powerhead exchange inc

dieselcat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Not sure if this is right place to post this question?

this seems to be the only place i can find a rebuild kit for my engine.It is called powerhead exchange,it is in tampa florida.Has anyone delt with this buisness,and did everything go smooth with the transaction?

Thanks,shane

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: info on powerhead exchange inc

Oh then you have to sharpen up your google skills :)

You want a re-build kit to DIY? Try Maxrules

dieselcat

Petty Officer 1st Class

Acually i did find maxrules also but they are proud of their stuff.they want more than i'm wanting to spend,i could buy a rebuilt ph for $300 more.

Anybody use first place i asked about?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

No, but here's another
PowerheadKit.com

... and make sure you use a marine machine shop for any machining and have an OEM shop manual.

Fisherball

Chief Petty Officer

Powerhead exchange inc & PowerheadKit.com are the same place. Exchange is rebuilt & kit is the kits. Much cheaper than I thought it would be to get all the parts I need.

dieselcat

Petty Officer 1st Class

yeah i am defiantly having a machine shop do the boring,i took it to a place to have it checked out and the machinist told me 1 cyl defiantly needed bored,he thinks it may clean up at .40 but may have to take it to .64.
He said the other 3 cyldrs i could try just a straight hone but they are .5 out of round now and if it were his, he'd bore em all.he said he don't think he could get em within tolerance with just a straight hone.

I am going to take his advice and bore em all.Can someone give me an idea of what this motor would be worth after a total overhaul?just had the lower unit gone through in FEB of this year so after this its basically a new motor.

Here is the funny thing,when i bought the motor i bought a 1995 erude 88 spl.all the numbers on the transom mount say its a 1995,but while diagnosing some and electrical issue.i found the powerhead to be an 1987.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Make sure to correct the cause of the failure, or it will happen again.

Fisherball

Chief Petty Officer

Anyone ever get parts from either of these suppliers? Maxrules wants $739.00 for a complete rebuild kit & Powerheadkits wants $450.00. I can't help but wonder what manufacturer & country the cheaper parts come from. I don't want to have to do it again in a few years. Makes me think they'll be cheap chinese parts made with lead & cadium with a free bonus tube of antifreeze flavored toothpaste. If not much difference I'll go with Powerheadkit, if not I'll spend the extra cash to get good parts.