1987 force 125 should but can't get-er-up!

job-grecos

Cadet
I have a force 125 1987 on a Champion II 85/6/7 something. The boat is fiberglass and '16"6 Bass boat. Now, I have checked: compression(after motor was warmed up) all 130+/- 3-5, spark big and blue, fuel and they all look good. Carbs were cleaned fuel line is clear ball does not dimple but gets solid. She idles great runs awesome at low rpms the motor never stutters starts every time. But when I giv-er the whole rig plows the water untill I put someone up front on the boat. Then once she flattens out the motor winds right up. It just take half the lake to get up on plain. I'm ready to just get new power. One other thing the plugs when I check them after running they have some carbon on them but not much and they look wet like maybe the fuel is not burning all the way.

What to do next?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: 1987 force 125 should but can't get-er-up!

What size prop do you have?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Yeah sounds like the motor is not running on all four cylinders, or you have a really water logged hull. 13 1/4 X 17 pitch prop on a 16.6 FT hull should get you up on plane real quick. What's the history of the boat?

Water logged floatation foam can add hundreds of pounds of weight to a boat. Also, do you have a tach?

jaybirddog11

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Check your timing, mine was so far off that I thought it was running on only 3 cylinders.

job-grecos

Cadet

Did static timing test, timing was off maybe five degrees. Reached in bottom of boat through seat post hole foam was not water logged. Hoping to have a chance to put er on the water tomorrow afternoon.

foodfisher

Captain

Better look real close for extra weight below deck.

job-grecos

Cadet

I drilled a two inch hole in the bottom of the seat box and found a stringer then a second hole two inches over found foam soaked with water. So I cleaned out a bunch to the bottom and found about half to three quarts inch of standing water with the boat bow tilted up quite high. So from what I've read the foam needs to come out. Now I plan to use the boat this summer for fishing, and I'm asking so don't yell, do you believe it can float safely to fish from?

jaybirddog11

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As long as you dont start taking on water you should be ok for the season. I wouldn't exactly call it safe though. Maybe wear life jackets at all times. If your boat does take on water, the foam has lost the ability to do its job and your boat could sink. My 2 cents