Pontoon Ignition

cmparker64

Recruit
I am having wiring issues on my pontoon. It hasn't been on the water in 5 years. The lady I got it from left it in the weather uncovered the whole time. Now that I'm into the wiring, I replaced the ignition switch.

The old had 6 prongs on the back. Here is what they were labled and the wires that were connected to them. "M(Black with Yellow stripe), B(Red), C(Yellow with Black Stripe), S(Yellow with Red Stripe), M(5 Black wires), I(5Purple wires).

I couldn't find a switch with 6 prongs, so I purchased a 4 pronged ignition switch. This switch includes Starter, Accessory, Battery, and Ignition.

I'm no electrician, so I was taking my best guess and crossing my fingers. I'm running out of guesses and not to mention, fuses.

Can anyone determine which wires from the old ignition switch need to be hooked up to which post on the new ignition switch?

Thank you

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Pontoon Ignition

STOP: You apparently have an outboard motor and as such it has "magneto ignition". The swtich you bought is for a "battery ignition" engine (like one in a car or a boat with an I/O). You cannot use that switch. There are six terminals for a reason -- they are needed.

cmparker64

Recruit

Thank you both for your input. I suppose that is the reason for my lack of luck. I'll see if I can find an ignition with the 6 terminals. The diagram and information about the switch wiring was very helpful too.
Thanks again. I'll let you know how it turns out.

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

BTW,
What kind of motor and what year?

cmparker64

Recruit

The motor is about a '95 Mercury Mariner 40 horse. So here's what I've done since my last post. I went to a marina and purchased the correct, 6 post ignition and suprise-suprise, I stopped blowing fuses. The article that was posted yesterday was extreemly helpful. The ignition seemed to be working properly, but wouldn't signal the starter. In the article, I was able to isolate the wire that went to the starter and by-passed the wire and it worked. I still wasn't getting spart, but realized that the kill switch was on. Now, when I turn it over and shoot carb cleaner in the carbs, it will fire, but will not continue. I'm guessing I need to clean my carbs. Is this something that I should attempt with no prior experience or take the two carbs in and have them rebuilt for about $100+ each?