1964 Galaxy

Countrykidd

Recruit
I inherited my father-in-laws 1964 Galaxy a few years ago, complete with the original 50 hp Mercury. He bought it new in Michigan with tanks, paddles, etc for $2200 as per the original bill of sale.

This boat had been in storage for 20 years and was like new with low hours on the engine. We have had a lot of fun with it since then.
I'm now looking at replacing the floorboards. Can someone tell me why there is Styrofoam under the floorboards in the channels? Is it for flotation or sound deadening?

JoeMan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1964 Galaxy

The foam is under the floor for added floatation. I'm sure your forward decking has several of these foam panels strapped up to the underside as well.

Can you please post several detailed pics here?? Love to see it!

Countrykidd

Recruit

Thanks for the quick reply and "yes" I'll dig up some pics of the boat or take some new ones to share.

Countrykidd

Recruit

Here's a pic I took as we headed out on vacation to Miller Lake, Ontario in 2004.

Most of my boat pics are pre digital so I will have to scan them in to share them.

Attachments

• 1964 Galaxy.jpg
    1964 Galaxy.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 0

JoeMan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Can you post a larger version of the one you have used as your profile pic? Looks like a good lake pic of the Duratech.

Countrykidd

Recruit
Re: 1964 Galaxy (new pics)

Re: 1964 Galaxy (new pics)

Well, we tried to put the boat in for some fishing this weekend and a chance to get some new pics on water but Lake Erie wasn't co-operating.
Too many white caps to go fishing!
I'm sure the Galaxy would have handled the waves ok but the passengers might have been a little uncomfortable.

Attachments

• Galaxy ready to go_1.jpg
    Galaxy ready to go_1.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat stickers.jpg
    Boat stickers.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Port Bruce.jpg
    Port Bruce.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Galaxy ready for the water_1.jpg
    Galaxy ready for the water_1.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 0

JoeMan

Petty Officer 1st Class

The Galaxy looks great. I agree with you...I'd not be out on that troubled water with the Galaxy! I went out on some water like that with the Duratech and had much difficulty getting back off of it safely! This was over on the St. Clair River on a day which looked like what you show here. Not fun! Once you post a couple close ups or one of her on the lake, I'll save it and post on the Duratech site. :)