Will not shift into Forward Gear/115 HP 1979

Bigbobdallas

Seaman
I was at lake last couple of times and when I stop boat and tried to go again It would take a long time to get into forward. I would have to give it more throttle and then it would jerk into forward and it did it about three or four times last week. Took out this Sunday and when left dock noticed it a little but not as bad so left fished. On the two or three times we stopped and tried to leave it would take a long time for it to go into forward. So left to go put on trl and then let out partner to get truck so I could load and it would not go into to forward at all only had reverse. And suggestions

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: going into Gear

What motor are we discussing here?

Bigbobdallas

Seaman

Could this possibly be a cable problem??? Something I might be able to look and fix myself. If so where do I start.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Will not shift into Forward Gear/115 HP 1979

Likely a minor adjustment problem on the engine end. Disconnect the shift cable under the cowling. Place the engine shift lever in neutral, then see where the cable end is compared to the shift lever stud. Shift the engine to forward, the compare where the shift cable end is to the shift lever stud when it is shifted forward. Likely you will see the cable end connection is not aligned properly with the shift stud. You can adjust the position of the shift cable end by rotating the cable nut forward or backward.

GatorMike

Ensign
Re: Will not shift into Forward Gear/115 HP 1979

Have you changed your waterpump impeller lately? If you turned the shift shaft while you had the lower unit off that could be your problem.

Also a word of caution. I know this because I did it once, be careful, if I understand you right you are saying your engine is reving up before it kicks into gear. I had mine out of adjustment once and decided it would not hurt to go ahead and get in a day of fishing like that. Figured when I got home I would adjust it properly. It never happened because one time when it kicked into gear it sheared the pinion gear right off the drive shaft. Quite an expensive blunder.