2000 Sugar Sand starting

boat58

Cadet
Hello, I have a 2000 Sugar Sand Mirage with a 175 mercury engine and I would like to know if it's all right to start it up to make sure it starts before I take it to the lake. I have read that you should not start it out of water or you will blow off the ride plate.
The engine has a flush connecter on the top of it, so what do you do to prevent blowing off the ride plate?...thanks

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 2000 Sugar Sand starting

I know the same problem will happen with the 175 if you run it out of the water without a dealer type flush kit that will "kill" the unburned gas fumes from the exhaust. I am not familiar with the 175 as they have very little problems , Your best bet is to call mercury at 920-929-5040 option3 for tech support and ask them .

boat58

Cadet

I started the boat up with the engine first and the water flush second and it started on the second try. Idle was good and the water was coming out fine at half pressure from the hose, three minutes into the run a constant alarm sounded so I shut the engine down, looked to see if the engine was getting hot...the right bank I could touch it for 5 seconds and the left bank was 2seconds...Did I mess things up?

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

UMMM .. you should have called Mercury , only way to find out is to put it into the water and run it ... Hope it is OK ... The alarm you heard was the overheat alarm , Do not think you hurt anything but do not do that again !!!

boat58

Cadet

OK, I'll take it to the lake tomorrow and see what happens, I will report back....thanks

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

see my last post just edited it !

bilmon

Cadet

You should run the hose full on and turn water on before starting,also don't run above idle.The constant beep was definitly the overheat.My 240 03 Mirage[same 2.5 Merc block as your 175] will run 150-160 degrees on the hose thats 25-30 degrees above what I see on the water.Over heat goes off on mine around 175 by my Smartcraft monitor

Bill

boat58

Cadet

Just got back from the lake and the boat ran good once I got it started, there was no alarm and the engine was rather cool to the touch, amazing to me at least.
Drove the boat for about a half hour going from 25 to 35mph I was not interested in speed I just wanted to find out if the engine would over heat.
Thanks to all for there input...regards...Ed

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Very glad to hear your boat is OK ... Enjoy the boating season !! Post up if you need anything , as you can see you will get support