Mercruiser 3.0LX Electrical Ignition Issue

MH9371B

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Engine is Mercruiser 1995 3.0LX
Boat is 1995 Sea Ray 195BR

Had a problem at the ramp the other day. When I turned the ignition key, the boat started up, then suddenly quit and the fuse behind the dash just above the key blew. I then got absolutely no activity (obviously) on the dash when I turned the key again. I replaced the fuse, and the boat started again, only to do the exact same thing.

Now when I try, I will turn the key, I will get a little bit of activity on the dash however the starter will not turn. If I just turn the key one click and not to the start position, I will see activity on the gauges, hear a click from the engine compartment, and everything will go dead. Then, after taking key out and about 10 seconds, another click from engine compartment, and gauges will show activity again when I turn key, but the same thing happens.

Any ideas?

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Mercruiser 3.0LX Electrical Ignition Issue

You need to check your engine harness for any shorts to ground. Look at areas where the harness could or can get chafed. I take it your Merc has the red pushbutton breaker on top of the motor. Have you had any issues with that?

MH9371B

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes I have that red button. It hasn't popped to where I've had to reset it, if that is what you are asking. Someone suggested a bad slave solenoid?

MH9371B

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not quite sure how to check for shorts to ground. I'm good with the motor, but electronics is where I am clueless.

MH9371B

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I believe the problem might be in the shifter. 2 weeks ago my engine would trim down but not up. Suddenly the up trim started working again, then this problem happened.