Seafoam and Thru prop exhaust ?

YeboGogo

Seaman
Is there anything to worry about if I throw a can in my water fuel separator?

My main concern is excessive heat melting a bellows but i have thought about the possibility of making a fortune of smoke even though the exhaust exists below water. I dont want to travel too far from my dock to use it but also dont want to fill the cove with smoke :)

Thanks!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Seafoam and Thru prop exhaust ?

I wouldn't do it. Large percentage of oil in Seafoam.

If I was going to put anything in the filter, it would be something like Chevron Techron that actually has a decent solvent in it.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Your fuel filter is for fuel, not additives.
Put the seafoam or other snake oil of choice in the fuel tank as in the instructions on whatever you use. I doubt anything says fill your water seperating fuel filter with it./

What exactly are you trying to cure?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Um,

Yes. You will seriously foul the spark plugs and "carbon" up the combustion chambers. It may also just kill the engine when the stuff hits the carburetor.

It's not fuel for a gasoline engine. It's oil mixed with naptha and isopropyl alcohol (IPA)

From Seafoams own MSDS,

40-60% "Pale Oil"
25-35% "Naptha"
10-20% "IPA"

I'm really "at a loss" to know why some people think dumping the above "ingredients" in gasoline is a ever good thing?

Most of these snake oils are really great for the people that $$ sell them $$ . It's questionable as to the benefits for the people that buy them......:rolleyes:

You're FAR better off just fixing the problem that you're having. No amount of "Mechanic-in-a-bottle" ever fixed anything......

Regards,

Rick

180shabah

Rear Admiral

...besides the engine dying when it displaces the gas in the carb????? Or not being able to get it restarted until you open up the fuel system to flush it out????

What exactly is the problem?

YeboGogo

Seaman

I could have sworn I read somewhere that said you could fill the separator. Oh well. No big deal.

No issues with the motor. Just wanted to give it a good internal scrubbing. Ive read some things that say you get amazing results from it. Most are mechanics by trade.

This isnt something I need to do. Just figured $8could clean things up

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Well, you're not alone.

Just put clean fresh fuel in the tank and replace the filter/separator regularly (yearly or so for most of us) ...... Then fix it if something goes wrong.

When I removed the fuel tank from my 20+ year old boat it was absolutely pristine-clean as was the carburetor....there was nothing to "scrub".

So, I guess I have had the same amazing results NOT using any of the "snake oils"!!

Most of the people that suggest "amazing results" from the stuff, make amazing profits by selling it.

haulnazz15

Captain

We normally run seafoam directly into the carburetor so that we can add it in increments to avoid killing the engine. SeaFoam DOES eat carbon deposits in the intake and combustion chamber, so it isn't entirely "snake oil". It does what it says it does. We usually only use it at the end of a season while doing the winterization.

However it isn't a cure-all, it's just designed to clean up the inside of the engine which isn't really able to be done any other way short of pulling the heads. You get a good smoke show (but it's mostly the SeaFoam creating the smoke).

YeboGogo

Seaman

We normally run seafoam directly into the carburetor so that we can add it in increments to avoid killing the engine. SeaFoam DOES eat carbon deposits in the intake and combustion chamber, so it isn't entirely "snake oil". It does what it says it does. We usually only use it at the end of a season while doing the winterization.

However it isn't a cure-all, it's just designed to clean up the inside of the engine which isn't really able to be done any other way short of pulling the heads. You get a good smoke show (but it's mostly the SeaFoam creating the smoke).

I had thought of pulling a vacuum line off and letting it drink a bit at a time while underway. Since its oil I suppose I should do it on land if im going to do it.. Still undecided :(

Jeepster04

Chief Petty Officer

Putting all of it in the fuel filter would add too much and simply kill the engine/foul your plugs. Adding a small amount through a vacuum line would be ok. Adding some in the carb would be ok too, just be careful with the engine running and the spark arrestor off.

Ive always read that its great for removing carbon. Some use it regularly but I dont. I tried it once in an old car just for the fun of it to see how much smoke I could make. The more carbon you have built up the more smoke you get! After running it through the engine, shut it off for around 10min then start it back(like the directions say). Thats when the smoke comes out.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The more carbon you have built up the more smoke you get!
Smoke is from the oil in the SeaFoam. If they actually say the more smoke you get, the more carbon you are removing, they should be fined for false advertising.